Talk

Advanced search

Estate Agents - what should I reasonably expect?

(9 Posts)
AccioNameChange Fri 16-Dec-16 15:12:19

Accepted an offer a month ago. Emailed last week for an update. Nothing. Called today, they aren't sure where we are in the process as solicitors are busy trying to get people completed before Christmas. We aren't in a rush.

Then they mention that searches take three to four weeks (I knew this) so they would be chasing the buyers solicitor to see if this had been started yet.

Given that I returned the paperwork the day after accepting the offer, and my solicitor has drafted and sent contracts, shouldn't searched have been started a while ago?

If someone with more experience could let me know what I should expect them to have done at this point that would be so helpful.

TIA!

Lizzim18 Fri 16-Dec-16 16:06:09

Most solicitors ask for upfront payment of search fees. Have you provided this? If not, they probably won't have started them... Your estate agent doesn't have any role in searches unless they are also doing your conveyancing...

AccioNameChange Fri 16-Dec-16 16:13:34

Lizzi sorry probably wasn't clear, I'm selling. So waiting for searches to be done by buyers. But estate agent doesn't even know if buyer have started searches, I assumed as the liaison they helped push this stuff through, but don't know if I have wrong expectation.

Lizzim18 Fri 16-Dec-16 16:15:50

Probably more likely to get a response if you ask your solicitors to chase...

Lizzim18 Fri 16-Dec-16 16:16:44

And to be fair the estate agents should help but they do tend to vary in my experience (we've sold 4 times)....

meercat23 Fri 16-Dec-16 16:21:03

The agent should progress chase on a fairly regular basis in order to make sure that your buyer is serious, actively engaged in the process of buying and that their solicitors are making reasonable progress.

Having said all that, it always seems to take longer than you expect it will.

adriennewillfly Fri 16-Dec-16 22:27:04

Has the buyer commissioned a survey yet? Have they got their mortgage arranged (and valuation done)?

Snowflake65 Fri 16-Dec-16 22:30:14

The problem is that the Estate Agent is reliant on the solicitors to provide the update and the solicitors would rather (understandably) spend their time updating their client or liaising with the other solicitor - they don't particularly want to spend time updating the agent as well unless they choose to do so out of courtesy.

Your best bet would be asking your solicitor as they are the ones engaging with the buyer's solicitor.

DiscoMoo Sun 18-Dec-16 13:03:09

I didn't hear from my estate agents from the time I accepted the offer until I contacted them to arrange dropping the keys off on completion day. I had regular contact with my solicitor though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now