Talk

Advanced search

Move to Guildford or Godalming

(9 Posts)
Katecooks Fri 16-Dec-16 14:00:10

We're planning to move to Guildford or Godalming in Spring 2017. My husband now works there and the current commute (from Bromley) is just too far/expensive. Any advice on the advantages/drawbacks of both places very welcome and which areas are preferable. We'd like to be reasonably near the station (max 1 1/2 miles away) as I have an 18-year old who needs to commute to Waterloo (London) station. She has low blood pressure, so is prone to fainting (seat on train essential!)
Houses in both areas seem extortionate, but so is Bromley...

Magstermay Fri 16-Dec-16 16:41:56

What time is your 18 year old commuting? Highly unlikely impossible to get a seat on the train from Guildford at rush hour, can't speak for Godalming.
Area depends on budget, Onslow Village in Guildford is nice - near the station is obviously more expensive. Wodeland Avenue area also nice.

AnchorDownDeepBreath Fri 16-Dec-16 16:44:27

Guildford in a heartbeat. We did Godalming for a more relaxed life; and it was cheaper. It was a nightmare.

TheDogsMother Fri 16-Dec-16 16:51:52

I've lived in Guildford and commuted from both Guildford and Godalming. Guildford is very nice and buzzing type of larger town. Great facilities and shopping though everyone has discovered this and its getting busier and busier. Agree with previous poster, you won't get a seat from Guildford during rush hour. I've lived near Godalming and its a really nice little town though again very much being discovered by families moving from London. You are more likely to get a seat on the train from here. Just to confuse matters have you considered Haslemere ?

Katecooks Sat 17-Dec-16 09:52:10

Thank you for all your replies. My daughter would commute around 7-7.30am, so guessed there might be problems getting a seat from Guildford. Haselmere looks lovely, but the commute (both to Guildford and Waterloo) is longer and more expensive. We are now thinking that we may rent in Godalming and test the trains before buying. I went to university in Guildford many years ago - agree it's changed a lot and so much busier - isn't everywhere?

MabelFurball Mon 19-Dec-16 14:11:31

You will get a seat from Guildford if you go on the slow train Obviously will take twice as long to get to W but a more relaxing journey.

OlennasWimple Mon 19-Dec-16 14:19:05

Houses in Godalming tend to be a bit smaller than in Guildford, so although they are cheaper they might not be quite big enough. (Yes, sweeping statement, I know - I'm talking about that standard layout that so many old houses have, with the entrance at the side, two receptions, two bedrooms, kitchen and bathroom tacked on the back)

If DD is happy to take the slow train, you could look at somewhere within easy reach of London Road station - she'll still get a seat and it opens up more options.

I would try Guildford over Godalming first, especially with an 18yo DD. There is so much more going on there, and excellent shopping. I'd avoid Stoughton. Merrow and Burpham are very nice but a bit further away from the stations (there are buses though)

What's your budget? Any other requirements for your ideal home?

BumbleNova Mon 19-Dec-16 19:32:47

my personal experience was that trying to buy in godalming is not easy. its small and not many houses come up. everything that we saw we were viewing no 37 or 41 that day. cue bidding wars and having to make a decision in 10 mins. no hope of a second viewing. its very sweet but christ, we elected to go somewhere else.

Katecooks Fri 30-Dec-16 20:01:30

Thank you so much everyone - now realise that we have to look at all the options. Decided to sell up first, then rent in either and get to know the area better before we buy. Have watched the market for a long time on the internet and there hasn't been much choice, whereas there are hundreds of houses on the market where I live now. We spent a couple of days in Godalming just before Christmas and really liked it, although it's always different when you're 'on holdiay' - think my 18-year old will still travel into London to meet with old friends, so not so worried that Godalming will be a quieter life for her than Guildford, but we shall see. Looking for a 4-bed-roomed house with a decent-sized garden (need a 4th bedroom for a study as I work from home).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now