Talk

Advanced search

International doors

(5 Posts)
Auntycoops Fri 16-Dec-16 12:50:21

I am trying to choose some internal doors, but not sure what to go for. House is a typical Victorian terrace and I would like Victorian style doors rather than modern.

Anyone got any ideas on what type to get and where to buy them.

Thanks

Auntycoops Fri 16-Dec-16 12:51:06

Hah not international doors.. You know what I meant

graveyardkate Fri 16-Dec-16 15:53:32

Doors in a Victorian terrace were normally pine four panel jobs like this: www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-Skipton-Internal-Softwood-Door-Clear-Pine-4-Panel-1981x762mm/p/206690
Traditionally they would have been painted in a wood grain effect but nowadays many people strip them back to wood.
I recently had need for some but after looking what was available new in the shops, bought reclaimed doors from a guy called Mike Parvin Antiques in Northallerton. He was very helpful and I'm delighted with the authentic result.

PigletJohn Fri 16-Dec-16 18:28:24

is it just a two-story house? You haven't got a loft conversion or anything?

A small house would probably have those thin pine doors. They are quite lightly made and don't block sound well. Measure your old doors, those are 35mm thick (which is an inch and a half less the amount planed off). Your door linings ("frames") may have a rebate to suit a particular door thickness and not very easy to alter. You can buy heavier doors in the same style, but they are not authentic and have to be painted. Larger Victorian houses might have been more grand and had thicker doors.

downwardfacingdog Mon 19-Dec-16 15:06:01

I would get old ones from a reclamation yard. They are not particularly expensive and new ones never look quite right.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now