Talk

Advanced search

Kitchen dilemma

(14 Posts)
TeaPleaseBob Fri 16-Dec-16 10:52:56

Hi, just wondering if anyone has any opinions on our dilemma.

We're having a new kitchen fitted, French doors and windows have been replaced and walls plastered. The plaster is not yet Derry however and kitchen was supposed to be fitted Monday. Builder asking if we want walls sealed and white washed before kitchen goes in or fit kitchen then deal with walls.

If they seal walls and white wash then kitchen won't go in until Wednesday and everyone finished up Thursday afternoon for Christmas so might not be done.

However we're spending our savings on this and don't want to end up with problems by rushing it at last minute.

Staying at my parents just now so not ideal but we'd be ok. If enough of kitchen fitted Wednesday Thursday could even move back and stay for last of the work.

This is first time we've had a turning major done and we honestly don't know what to do for best. Builder says he would always suggest sealing walls first so guess we should do that. Just wish we'd had the money to do kitchen as soon as we bought the house, much more hassle now we've got 3 year old in tow. confused

graveyardkate Fri 16-Dec-16 13:46:00

There's only one answer to this - and you know it. Listen to your builder and do it the proper way around. It's bloody annoying not to be finished before Xmas but not nearly as annoying as the next 10-15 years of regretting that you didn't seal the walls. As my grandfather used to say "if a job's worth doing, it's worth doing properly"

WingedSloath Fri 16-Dec-16 14:13:44

Far easier to paint a kitchen wall before the cabinets go in. We were without a kitchen for weeks when we had a kitchen extension built 3 years ago but we made time to paint an empty room.

We used Leyland Trade superlatex paint which you can actually apply to still damp plaster. It was from Screwfix and it comes in a 15ltr vat! I needed help carrying it to the car.

www.screwfix.com/p/leyland-trade-super-leytex-matt-paint-brilliant-white-15ltr/60248#product_additional_details_container

It lets the plaster breathe so you can put 2 coats on and the plaster can still dry out, it may speed things up for you but your builder may not have used it before. Worth running it past him/her. Also in the Q&A bit leyland answer the questions about using it as a mist coat on new plaster.

PigletJohn Fri 16-Dec-16 18:52:50

if the builder hasn't used the Leyland one, I'm sure he will have used Dulux Trade Supermatt, which is a non-vinyl breathing emulsion that allows plaster to dry out without bubbling. It is not very durable, but you can paint over it once the wall is fully dry. It is available in PBW and magnolia off the shelf, or you can have colours mixed at extra cost. I expect the Leyland is similar.

It will look much better, and prevent plaster dust coming off on your clothes.

PigletJohn Fri 16-Dec-16 18:54:54

p.s.

If he suggests putting glue on the walls, please don't let him.

TeaPleaseBob Fri 16-Dec-16 19:59:39

Thank you for advice! I think I saw PVA plaster seal bottles in kitchen today, is this what you mean PigletJohn?

I'm meeting him at house tomorrow to check walls and will suggest the 2 above. They would be perfect if I we can paint ourselves over the weekend then maybe they can crack on with kitchen fitting come Monday.
We've used dulux trade in the rest of the house so will try for that.

Thanks for help everyone!

TeaPleaseBob Fri 16-Dec-16 20:01:01

Just realised awful autocorrects in earlier post. I'll blame nightshift tiredness. confused

PigletJohn Fri 16-Dec-16 21:19:39

many people (including the manufacturers of the paint and the manufacturers of the glue) advise against putting it on a surface you hope one day to paint.
]
This is because the glue coats the plaster and prevents the paint from touching it or soaking in. The glue is water soluble so it tends to soften or liquefy when wetted by emulsion, and may bubble, either when painted or in future when moistened by splashes or cleaning.

There are still a few people who like to put glue on walls. Not many, because they have mostly been killed by angry decorators.

Email the helpdesk of the paint manufacturers and ask.

PigletJohn Fri 16-Dec-16 21:40:47

p.s.

do the ceiling as well before the kitchen goes in, and before doing the walls. Drips and splashes will make you sad.

TeaPleaseBob Sat 17-Dec-16 09:12:21

Thank you!

Ceiling has been freshly skimmed so it's on the weekend hit list too. Off to Screwfix soon.

TeaPleaseBob Sat 17-Dec-16 21:49:22

Thanks again for everyone's suggestions. Walls and ceiling have one coat of the leyland superlatex. I'm going to do second (and possibly third) Costa tomorrow. Hoping kitchen will be in by Wednesday now and we can move back in time for Christmas.

TheThingsWeAdmitOnMN Mon 09-Jan-17 12:30:55

I often do a second or third Costa.

Painting I'm less enthusiastic about 😂

How did it all go?

Alwayscheerful Mon 09-Jan-17 19:14:54

Useful info as always piglet John. smile

TeaPleaseBob Mon 09-Jan-17 20:04:18

Second or third Costa would have been more pleasant than a weekend of painting. grin

Two coats did the trick and everything looks great. The plaster is almost dry and no cracks or bubbles.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: