Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Leak found after making an offer

(8 Posts)
Mamabear12 Fri 16-Dec-16 05:49:43

Hello. We found our dream home and put an offer in, which was accepted. Shortly after we found a leak in the unoccupied property! And mould, as the leak has slowly been going on unnoticed as its unoccupied. What is expected in this situation? Vendor to fix or reduce offer price? we put offer in thinking no work needs to be done and we could move right in!

Ifailed Fri 16-Dec-16 06:01:51

how bad is the leak? I would get a quote to fix it and make good afterwards. Depending on that, I'd either make a lower offer, explaining why, or just suck it up if it was only a relatively small amount.

what would worry me is what other problems are lurking in the property lying undiscovered?

Are you having a survey done?

FunnyBird Fri 16-Dec-16 06:10:45

If there's any chance of a frost before you resolve this, please get the water turned off and the system drained down. If the pipes freeze, the leak could become worse and you will have water pouring everywhere.
I would ask for a reduction in price. With vendor to fix, you have no idea whether the fix was a bodge or proper repair.

P1nkP0ppy Fri 16-Dec-16 06:11:05

Where's the leak? If there's mould it's been leaking for some time.
Until you exchange it's the vendor's responsibility to repair so notify the EA.
You need a full survey op.

PigletJohn Fri 16-Dec-16 09:10:40

Compared to the price of a house, the cost of repairing a leak is trivial.

But is it a roof leak? A drain? A radiator? Under the sink? In the supply pipe buried in a concrete floor?

lovelearning Fri 16-Dec-16 09:19:42

If you're in England or Wales (not Scotland), you can withdraw your offer or amend it anytime prior to exchange of contract.

Get a survey done, and base your decision on that.

lovelearning Fri 16-Dec-16 10:13:11

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now