Talk

Advanced search

Any gasfitters here?

(12 Posts)
MipMipMip Thu 15-Dec-16 16:22:47

. We live in a rented property so can not change anything. We provide the cooker though.

Just hot a new cooker, used independent installer. It's faulty. AO will be coming out (after Christmas!) to replace it. The problem is we have always used an extention cord that goes over the door and along the wall to the cooker. It doesn't do behind at any tin e. Only AO are objecting to this (then also say they will check electricals - can't see our very old fuse box passing but that's besides the pint!)

Is there any legislation that prevents an all has cooker, that uses electricity only for the light and ignition, using an extension cord? and what would you do?

Help very much appreciated.

MipMipMip Thu 15-Dec-16 16:24:18

Sorry for the typos - my tablet makes it very hard to proof and correct!

specialsubject Thu 15-Dec-16 16:45:49

was the independent installer gas safe registered? Really gas safe registered?

if so, what did he say about your set up?

MipMipMip Thu 15-Dec-16 16:50:24

He was - I even remembered to check his id card! (rare for me).

He didn't have a problem with it but AO seem paranoid to the pint of excess. Just wondering what the rules really are.

specialsubject Thu 15-Dec-16 17:15:25

I do find that opinions vary between gas men, although they shouldn't. Finding the actual rules is incredibly difficult. What do AO say when you tell them that a registered gas safe person has been happy with it?

There is nothing wrong with a fuse box per se.

MipMipMip Thu 15-Dec-16 18:50:39

Sorry, had to take the dog out.

They basically said it depends on what the guy who comes out says! Was hoping there was something I could point to Or know if they were in the right. We're prepared to use a lighter if necessary, as long as they plug in the gas!

specialsubject Thu 15-Dec-16 19:04:39

thus confirming my suspicions!!

hopefully someone who is gas safe registered can advise.

MipMipMip Thu 15-Dec-16 19:19:29

Thanks special, good to know I'mnot going crazy here!

UnconventionalWarfare Fri 16-Dec-16 06:57:01

Do you happen to have a link to the cooker you bought? I suspect they will attempt to get out of this using "not installed to manufacturers instructions" just because of the extension lead, which while there may technically be nothing wrong with it. It is not ideal.

MipMipMip Fri 16-Dec-16 11:35:10

Good thinking. The instruction booklet just says socket - there's no mention of extension leads.

UnconventionalWarfare Fri 16-Dec-16 13:54:34

I take it the electric just running the igniter/fan/lights i cannot see the issue with the extension long as the cable is of suitable size and it is in good condition. Like i said it isnt ideal but these companies are a pain in the ass for making their own rules up as they go. As a electrician i regularly deal with things the likes of AO and currys have deemed "illegal" and refused to install, very often there is no issue.

MipMipMip Fri 16-Dec-16 16:29:16

My sympathy warfare, sounds like you have to deal with them WAY too much for your blood pressure!

I fully understand that if it was an electric or duel fuel cooker it would need to be wired in, I suspect they know that and just use it for everything. Think we'll just say we won't plug it in if they object!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now