Advanced search

Broken tap - is piglet john about?

(10 Posts)
Thebeachismyhappyplace Thu 15-Dec-16 09:49:20

Or anyone else that might offer a sensible word to me who knows sod all about plumbing!!

The top bits (ie the turning part) of my bathroom basin taps have come clean away. Newish taps but can't get hold of plumber we used.

Can i get a washer or something to screw the tops back on? If so is this a job I can do myself or should i try to find a plumber?

Or is all hope lost & i just need to get new taps!

UnconventionalWarfare Thu 15-Dec-16 11:12:03

Picture would help immensely.

PinkiePiesCupcakes Thu 15-Dec-16 11:19:02

depends entirely on the taps and how theyre assembled. a picture would be good.

speaking from experience of taps there is usually a top bit, often its a small silver disc of plastic, that comes loose. under that there is often a screw, its that screw that holds the top of the tap in place.

Without seeing the actual taps though, I cant even suggest a solution.

PinkiePiesCupcakes Thu 15-Dec-16 11:20:12

dunno if that helps in anyway?

Thebeachismyhappyplace Thu 15-Dec-16 13:36:36

Ah ok sorry to not reply had to collect child from school confused i will have a look and take a pic and repost!

Thebeachismyhappyplace Thu 15-Dec-16 13:50:45

Hmm looking at it closely it looks like the top has sheared off...might be beyond repair?

PinkiePiesCupcakes Thu 15-Dec-16 15:58:04

I think that tap was faulty and needs replacing, it does look like the welds have npbroken. Not good.

bookbook Thu 15-Dec-16 16:11:57

Just shown DH the pictures. He says it looks like the turning bit has corroded ( probably due to them not being brass. It does look as if the tap is brass. If you take the turning bit to a local plumbers merchant, they may beable to supply a new one with the same size spline , so you can then just screw it back on. Only thing is, they may not beable to match it up. He suggests if you have a matching pair, to take the other one if its in better condition.
Hope that helps smile

PigletJohn Fri 16-Dec-16 09:32:35

I can't make out quite what has happened.

If you want to repair it, you will need a large and a small adjustable spanner and a roll of PTFE tape. I'd suggest buying a pair of Tap Revivers. If you look on eBay you'll see them at around £15 a pair, they contain the top part of a tap with the capstan and all the working parts. They are also available from tap manufacturers, plumbers merchants and diy sheds.

Fitting a complete new tap is more work and involves lying under the basin on your back and cursing a lot.

But first....

In that splined spindle you see a hole. A retaining screw goes down from the capstan into it. Remove the index (the little disk marked H or C in the middle of the top) and you will see the screw head. If present, press the capstan down onto the splines and tighten the screw using a well-fitting screwdriver.

PigletJohn Fri 16-Dec-16 09:37:33

BTW if you want to buy new taps, you won't find better than Bristan, provided they have some you like the look of. Have a look at their website. You will see they also sell parts at modest prices, making a repair like yours easy. I have no connection with them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now