Talk

Advanced search

Bucks or Herts?

(6 Posts)
Hermonie2016 Mon 12-Dec-16 20:20:13

I am recently separated and will be moving close to family/work around Bucks or Herts.
I will have a budget of around 550k and ideally want a 3 bed house near good secondary schools.

I could consider private school for ds but might then have a slightly smaller budget.
I don't want rural and would be prefer to be close to towns with friendly neighbours as will be starting my life again.Also transport links as ds will be a teen so will want some level of independence.

Ideas really welcome.

notquiteruralbliss Mon 12-Dec-16 23:06:39

St Albans. Or (if DS is likely to pass 11+) somewhere in catchment for one of the Bucks grammars. You would get a decent house in Chesham or maybe Amersham for £550k.

bojorojo Tue 13-Dec-16 00:44:28

I would also look at Tring and Berkhamsted in Herts. There are also good schools around Potters Bar/Brookmans Park and transport links are good.

AvonCallingBarksdale Thu 15-Dec-16 16:50:23

I live in Amersham and would love to know where the decent houses for 550k are confused

HalleLouja Thu 15-Dec-16 22:01:56

Redbourn (though it has to be the side which gets into Roundwood) is an option. It depends how old your DS is. They are building a new school in Harpenden but its taking its time. Supposed to be built in 2018. If it is built then Southdown / all of Redbourn / Kimpton / Wheathampstead will all become options. The new school is going to be run by the existing secondaries in Harpenden so likely to be outstanding.

You could also get a house near Sandringham in St Albans for that money.

HalleLouja Thu 15-Dec-16 22:02:52

Sorry just seen he is a teen. Then you would be looking for in year admissions???

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now