Talk

Advanced search

Eggshell, gloss or satinwood?

(21 Posts)
fluttershyby Mon 12-Dec-16 19:57:52

What's best to use on woodwork inside the home? I've got doors, door frames, cupboard doors and picture rails to paint. I need something that is washable and will look good for several years. Will probably be white (as I'm boring and rubbish at putting colours together)

Maverickismywingman Mon 12-Dec-16 19:59:06

I'm an eggshell gal.

Sleepybunny Mon 12-Dec-16 20:00:06

Eggshell

Blacksox Mon 12-Dec-16 20:03:44

Eggshell. No-one uses gloss anymore!

PigletJohn Mon 12-Dec-16 20:04:15

I'd prefer satinwood, because eggshell holds grime and is difficult to clean.

Handmarks on doors, especially.

fluttershyby Mon 12-Dec-16 22:42:27

3 against 1, mmh I definitely need it to be easy to clean as good grubby dc

bojorojo Tue 13-Dec-16 00:47:51

Never had problems with good quality Egggshell (F and B). Cleans OK in our house. Satinwood is ok but has a sheen. Gloss is a no, no really. Depends if you like eggshell matt or satinwood sheen!!!!

christinarossetti Tue 13-Dec-16 01:11:17

It depends how often you want to repaint!

I tried satinwood and eggshell a few times, and have now switched back to gloss as it's so much harder wearing

OhIfIMust Tue 13-Dec-16 07:26:28

We use eggshell in hard wearing places e.g. Oil based eggshell when repainting kitchen cupboard doors - satinwood elsewhere.

PuraVida Tue 13-Dec-16 17:39:18

I'm thinking of forging ahead with a one woman gloss revival. Am seriously considering painting alcove cupboards and shelves in high gloss paint. I like shiny things

Sorry - no help probably just more confusion.

PigletJohn Tue 13-Dec-16 18:38:58

Modern water-based paints are IMO less glossy than oil-based paints anyway (also IMO less durable, so I'm all in favour of oil-based gloss outside).

51howdidthathappen Tue 13-Dec-16 18:46:32

Satinwood is in the middle for shine and durability.
I always go for oil based.

fluttershyby Tue 13-Dec-16 19:03:08

Don't the waterbased go yellow after time or is that oil based? I'm trying to work out what paint is in the house already, it's not overly shiny but not Matt either so maybe satinwood. It's probably been 10yrs at least when it was last painted

Chipsandonionrings Tue 13-Dec-16 19:06:43

I love glossed woodwork but must be white. I have 2 grubby kids so need something I can scrub

PigletJohn Tue 13-Dec-16 19:49:58

White oilbased paint can yellow if it doesn't see daylight. The problem occurred when the first low VOC paints were introduced. Until then, the quality of gloss paints was tested by exposing them to the weather and looking for cracking, breakdown and loss of shine, so somehow it was not picked up during product development. It is said that the formulae have since been improved. Even daylight through a window will do, so they are fine on windows, sills, front doors etc where their durability is most needed..

fluttershyby Tue 13-Dec-16 22:43:02

That's interesting regarding the daylight. Thanks pigletjohn

downwardfacingdog Fri 16-Dec-16 19:05:10

I've just done my woodwork in satin wood and it's a bit shinier than I'd like but I've compromised for the practicality as I have 5 young DC. It's watwrbased. Can't be doing with the fumes on oil based. (Or the cleaning brushes)

SecretSeven Fri 16-Dec-16 19:11:06

I did the wood in my house in Dulux Trade Satinwood two years ago.

It really is the best paint I've ever used on interior wood. Easy to clean, and not too "shiny". I am careless, and have a big dog who is even less careless. It looks great.

I'm never buying cheaper paint again.

Mrsladybirdface Fri 16-Dec-16 21:51:09

I've gone from satinwood to gloss. It cleans so much better and looks crisper. Satinwood looks grubby really quickly!

FrancisCrawford Sat 17-Dec-16 11:20:47

Always use satinwood as I much prefer the finish.

Plus it's much easier to prepare for reprinting.

No issues with cleaning it either.

MiaowTheCat Mon 19-Dec-16 16:16:39

I've just done ours satinwood - I don't like the finish of eggshell so it's that reason alone.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now