Talk

Advanced search

Internal Window

(26 Posts)
ShortLass Fri 09-Dec-16 13:41:20

Current refurbishment plans include replacing a glazed door from corridor into lounge with an internal window. So furniture can be placed along the wall, but light still gets inti corridor through thw window (a new door is being created elsewhere so old door not needed).

Where on earth do you buy one of these? Nothing at all on the Interwebs.

I was hoping to match frame of window with oak architrave of doors, which is why I want to source it myself and not reply on builder to supply.

But Google fails me. How does one go about getting an internal window. I should imagine it would be single glazed and definitely not openable.

YelloDraw Fri 09-Dec-16 14:14:27

Do you have to do this? I think it will look quite odd in the living room.

ShortLass Fri 09-Dec-16 14:20:48

Don't have to, but it would be a shame not to. Would help the long dark corridor off the entrance brighter and will be able to see through to back garden when opening front door. At the moment, entrance not very welcoming. Was architect's idea.

flownthecoopkiwi Fri 09-Dec-16 15:44:03

I had them in all our houses, although current one due to a later extension living the old window and bit of wall in place.
New house we are buying has one too, but planned that way. It's frosted and single glazed. Can you just order one like that, with a wood frame?

ShortLass Fri 09-Dec-16 15:47:34

I don't know if I can order one like that. I can't find anywhere that does them.

Hence my question, where do I get an internal window?

flownthecoopkiwi Fri 09-Dec-16 15:53:03

I think you just go to someone who makes windows in wood. And say 'single pane please!'

ShortLass Sat 10-Dec-16 08:44:35

You're probably right, flown

wowfudge Sat 10-Dec-16 10:05:26

I wouldn't do it - internal windows like that look odd and unless the corridor is constantly in use a decent light and light coloured décor would be enough.

Joinourclub Sat 10-Dec-16 11:42:11

Does it have to be a glazed window? Could it not just be an opening?

YelloDraw Sat 10-Dec-16 12:25:46

Agree with wowfudge - I'd paint in PBW and have some decent lighting installed.

ShortLass Sat 17-Dec-16 06:56:35

The internal window is a brilliant idea. I'm so pleased the architect suggested it. Definitely going ahead with it. Just need to find someone who makes them.

Entering the house to be faced with a brick wall is not an option.

Drquin Sat 17-Dec-16 07:02:15

Our local glazing company do them I assume, no use to you if you're not near me. But my builder suggested one, which I decided against, but he said he'd get from the local glazer.

Charleymouse Sat 17-Dec-16 07:12:19

Local glazer, should be safety glass can ask a small journey company to make the frame.

ShortLass Sat 17-Dec-16 07:22:09

Good suggestions, Charley and DrQuin.

I'm going round with the architect on Thursday and we'll talk through the window thing. Will be getting window companies round in the new year to quote for external windows so will ask them. Will also be getting joiner to come round to discuss other projects and will ask him/her about window.

I was just thinking - wrongly! - that I would get arcitrave for doors and window frame to match from the same place, but it appears not. Joiner could possibly make frame from same wood as achitrave. I'm probably way off base there! I don't know. It's that I'm putting together tender information for builders and I wanted to put down what I will supply (eg, kitchen units) and what they will supply (bricks). This level of planning also keeps me busy while I wait for architects and other people to do their bits. This process takes forever.

user1471549018 Sat 17-Dec-16 07:25:13

Glass bricks would allow the light in and look much better than an internal window imo

Shadowridge Sat 17-Dec-16 07:34:20

What about making a feature of it.

ShortLass Sat 17-Dec-16 08:04:49

Euw, glass bricks! hmm

Not sure why people are trying to talk me about of this excellent idea from the arcitect. Looks great on the plans.

GoodyGoodyGumdrops Sat 17-Dec-16 08:25:31

We have just what you describe, but I think it is an original feature of the house. I like it very much. Definitely much more friendly than a solid wall, plus makes entrance feel more spacious. Ours is in - I don't know the proper name - 'mottled'? glass, so retains the separation of a wall. It is 3 square panels stacked from floor to door lintel height. The architrave matches the door architraves, with plain, matching shelves across (very useful in an entrance hall!). Without the shelves it would look like a filled-in door space.

I think you need a joiner to make the frame and a glazier to fit the glass. Would probably be cheaper than getting the window company to do it, as they would (I assume) be double-glazing installers, so would have to outsource the job.

angeldiver Sat 17-Dec-16 08:31:21

A joiner did ours as he was doing all the other joinery associated with an extension.

I hated that window (like you, suggested by the architect) with a passion, so much so it was one of the reasons we moved grin

YelloDraw Sat 17-Dec-16 12:39:13

Not sure why people are trying to talk me about of this excellent idea from the arcitect. Looks great on the plans.

Because in my opinion windows through to other rooms are naff and ugly unless they can be done as part of a cealing level change and just right at the top where it steps.

ChrisNo Sat 17-Dec-16 16:10:16

This conversation reminds me of this Mitchell and Webb sketch www.youtube.com/watch?v=AeoJYhLDlPs

But seriously, you know your own house and have taken the advice of an architect. I'd imagine using the same joiner as doors, etc. and getting a local glazier would make most sense, as others have said.

YelloDraw Sat 17-Dec-16 17:30:57

This conversation reminds me of this Mitchell and Webb sketch
Amazing!

origamiwarrior Sun 18-Dec-16 20:26:25

ebay is good for things like this. Search for 'made to measure wooden window' and you should find any number of small joinery firms who will make a simple window for you

Randonneur Mon 19-Dec-16 17:53:11

Would it be worth looking at architectural salvage? Make a feature out of it?

AccioNameChange Mon 19-Dec-16 18:22:46

We have this, was put in, similar situation to yours by the sounds of it, it is great. Don't be put off if you like it!

Agree with PP, joiner to make frames, buy glass from local glaziers. We did this when changing glass. Got frosted that lets 90% light in, is perfect.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now