Talk

Advanced search

Working out best placement of roof lights

(7 Posts)
wowfudge Fri 09-Dec-16 13:34:35

Can anyone advise how we can best work out where to put velux windows in a vaulted pitched roof? One side faces north and is shaded by tall trees. The other faces south. The room in question is a thirty year old single storey extension at the back of the original house. The builder has said what sizes of velux we could go for, but we're not sure about placement to make the room lighter.

We are planning on vaulting the ceiling as it's a dark room - adding windows on the external north wall will give virtually no usable wall space and mean every wall has a window or door!

OnePlanOnHouzz Fri 09-Dec-16 19:22:38

Depends on the use of the room too - as, for example, if it's a breakfast room then you might find the sunshine coming in the north facing roof at breakfast time is appealing ...

wowfudge Fri 09-Dec-16 21:17:48

Hello again - it's a dining room. I am trying to find something that allows you to model what the light might be with windows in different positions.

OnePlanOnHouzz Fri 09-Dec-16 21:38:01

Hi !
My professional software does that - but it's a bit of a faff to get it just right ! Sadly it's not automatised ... although I have asked !
If you look on suncalc website it will give a good indication of the sun pattern at your address ...

wowfudge Fri 09-Dec-16 21:49:25

Thank you. I'll have a look at what the light is like in the attic to get an idea - several veluxes up there and some with black out blinds. I think windows on the north side would make more sense and even things out as the room is off an orangery with a glass roof.

It all seems simple when you first think of things!

downwardfacingdog Fri 16-Dec-16 19:17:31

I would go for nice big ones on the north as you will get a lovely diffused light all day, no glare. South facing might be too bright and get hot in summer. Our loft has a S facing velux and it feels like a radiator in summer.

wowfudge Fri 16-Dec-16 19:29:04

Thanks downward - that's what we've decided on.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now