Talk

Advanced search

Kitchens - don't want gloss or painted so I want...what?! Help please

(48 Posts)
JustCallMeDory Thu 08-Dec-16 13:55:59

We've been saving hard, and next year is - finally - the Year Of The Kitchen.

We're going to have an extension, and move the kitchen to the back of the house (we think...). I want to start getting a bit excited about the actual kitchen bit, but the problem is, I can't see any style of kitchen I like.

I don't want anything very 'urban' - no gloss. I don't think I want painted doors (or do I?).

If I don't want loft/urban/London-ish, and I don't want aga-country kitchen-ish, what do I want?

Any ideas for me? photos always good.

AalyaSecura Thu 08-Dec-16 14:09:12

I wanted similar - kind of in between, and these were the kinds I liked (all budgets here!):

painted but modern, £££ though

Ikea, so not so £, Matt white

Might be too urban, but wood grained or matt doors, scooped handles

Will check Pinterest list for any more!

PigletJohn Thu 08-Dec-16 14:37:19

try to avoid vinyl-wrap, because it is not durable, and peels off. Fancy moulded and curved door shapes are often wrapped.

There are a few veneered or solid wood, but they don't like getting wet, and you may not find one that is perfectly to your taste. I only ever found two I liked exactly: Maple and Walnut.

Some are made of a hard laminate board, they will be flat "slab" doors, it is very durable. Search "Egger Board" for the range. Matt, gloss, woodgrain, metallic. Sample pieces are very cheap. There are places that will make them to your choice.

Bobochic Thu 08-Dec-16 14:38:39

Look on Pinterest.

JustCallMeDory Thu 08-Dec-16 14:42:56

Thanks both - off to check out those links Aalya

PigletJohn - great advice, as always. What's your take on painted cabinets/doors? Everyone seems to have them, but my worry is that the paint won't wear well judging by the painted walls and banisters in the rest of my house Surely every time you wipe it over, you're wiping some paint off? Or am I missing something huge?

JustCallMeDory Thu 08-Dec-16 14:43:32

Bobochic oh I have. I have. And then some.

namechangedtoday15 Thu 08-Dec-16 14:43:50

Have a look at DIY kitchens or Units on line - just for a variety of kitchens - modern / traditional / in frame / shaker / handleless etc and they have "real customer kitchens". Also have a look at Burbidge - another good website as it has "recent projects" - always think seeing kitchens in real people's houses (and how they seem to live in / with them) gives a much better idea than the glossy brochures / designer houses that you sometimes get on Houzz and Pinterest.

namechangedtoday15 Thu 08-Dec-16 14:46:52

Burbidge recent projects

Units online Testimonials

DIY Kitchens Real kitchens

dynevoran Thu 08-Dec-16 14:55:59

I'm having Ikea carcasses and then birch plywood drawer fronts and panels made by a carpenter. We were planning to have them painted a pale green colour but then he sourced a Formica alternative which will be laminated onto the sheets of birch ply. So when you open drawers you will see the end grain of the ply. Also having some purely end grain pull out unit fronts and the drawers will have end grain handles. Wanted something a little different but classic.

Tatlerer Thu 08-Dec-16 15:02:43

Check out 1909 kitchens- an going for an in-frame shaker with scalloped edges and love it!

PigletJohn Thu 08-Dec-16 16:20:35

I think the cabinet builders may spray with a hard paint, but nothing is as durable as laminate (except stainless doors as used on catering cabinets). I have had laminate kitchens and you can scrub them. It's the same material as worktops.

IME gloss paints are more durable and easy to clean that satin or matt.

JustCallMeDory Fri 09-Dec-16 09:41:28

Thanks PigletJohn

Namechanged - you're right about pintrest type photos - thanks for the DIY sites, that's interesting. The showroom kitchens all seem to have endless space, ceiling height and more light sources than is physically possible.

dynevoran yours sounds v interesting - I like the 'end of ply' look too. Do you have a photo of how the units could look when they're done?

I'm struggling not just with the units, but the whole 'feel' of how a non-urban, non-country kitchen might look.

MsUnderstanding Fri 09-Dec-16 09:50:43

Also look on Houzz for ideas. We might go for ply, a bit like this. And buy some non fitted bits and bobs like a larder cupboard.

www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2016/oct/23/the-bespoke-furniture-makers-plying-their-trade

JustCallMeDory Fri 09-Dec-16 09:59:31

MsUnderstanding. Thank you! flowers

This I love

Am I brave enough??

MsUnderstanding Fri 09-Dec-16 10:13:59

There a lot more pics of that kitchen here www.houzz.co.uk/photos/40731550/mackeson-road-contemporary-kitchen-london

JustCallMeDory Fri 09-Dec-16 13:50:58

oooh thanks. Of to peruse now. That's the first kitchen I've seen for a long time which I genuinely like.

dynevoran Fri 09-Dec-16 16:26:04

Yes mine will be quite like that one. It was one of my inspirations In a greenish colour but the handles will be slightly different

Here is a diagram of the run and island..in black and white but basically the handles will be end grain and the two pull out units either side of cooker will be end grain. The smaller cut out handles will be gaps but the end grain will be visible in the gap if that makes sense.

dynevoran Fri 09-Dec-16 16:28:14

It should be done by the second week of Jan so I can post pics then. These were my inspirations for colour palette.

dynevoran Fri 09-Dec-16 16:31:18

If you like more pared back colour paltte and to see more of the bare birch ply this one is also lovely.

dynevoran Fri 09-Dec-16 18:58:39

Ooh and I just found the handle inspo pic for mine. They will be laid into the drawers like this except horizontally and in end grain.

MsUnderstanding Fri 09-Dec-16 19:27:50

dynevoran what kind of worktop are you going for?

dynevoran Fri 09-Dec-16 20:10:24

I wanted something plain white but I have reluctantly let DP overrule me to a white and grey granite. It is literally the only decision he felt strongly about And had any input in so was backed into a corner. Think it'll look good with the green tho. Pic attached from the stone yard. Called cosmic white.

And all walls are white and lighting is black tracks. And appliances black with no silver details...just pure black.

SpeckledyBanana Fri 09-Dec-16 20:12:03

Oiled oak? We put a matt varnish over the top to seal it from water etc.

YelloDraw Sat 10-Dec-16 12:38:39

dynevoran that work top is beautiful

dynevoran Sat 04-Feb-17 15:08:00

@justcallmedory I said I'd update you when we fitted but I can figure out how to send pictures on private messages so here is the non-painted, non-gloss kitchen in all its glory!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now