Talk

Advanced search

Can anyone recommend a stair guard to stop a crawling baby falling between balusters?

(13 Posts)
Rupster Wed 30-Nov-16 13:34:52

I have a 5-month-old son, and before he starts crawling I want to fit a guard in front of the balusters/spindles on our landing because the gap between them exceeds 10cm (which I understand is the maximum safe gap).

Can anyone recommend anything?

Thanks.

Lissette Wed 30-Nov-16 13:37:57

yes, you can buy a safety kit which has clear stiff plastic which attaches to balusters/spindles - will try to find link

Lissette Wed 30-Nov-16 13:40:33

www.safetots.co.uk/safety-essentials/banister-balcony-guards/kidkusion-bannister-guard.html

I bought this myself years ago. My toddler loved slapping his hands on it to make a noise but it was very effective.

specialsubject Wed 30-Nov-16 16:43:20

cheaper version - get plastic mesh or gutter guards from a DIY store or poundland. Secure it with cable ties, cut off when child to big to go through gap.

as used on all the best sailing yachts. :-)

HerculesMulligan Wed 30-Nov-16 16:45:57

My FIL has rigged something up for us using thin plywood and cable ties. It's not pretty, but it'll come down easily without leaving marks when we need it to, and it's rocksolid in the meantime.

Blossomdeary Wed 30-Nov-16 16:48:57

I used plastic mesh and decorated it with all sorts of things: plants, children's art efforts etc.

Rupster Fri 02-Dec-16 21:11:51

Thanks for all your replies :-)

venys Fri 02-Dec-16 21:13:21

We have just screwed in some old ply.

Bringmewineandcake Sun 04-Dec-16 18:57:37

Perspex sheet should do the job

JellyWitch Sun 04-Dec-16 18:58:28

We tacked plywood up.

Rupster Mon 05-Dec-16 16:29:59

Thanks, everyone.

Rupster Mon 27-Feb-17 15:32:08

I finally got round to fitting the balluster guard. I went for 9mm MDF in the end, which I cut to size and secured to the ballusters with cable ties.

I painted the MDF with two coats of MDF sealer/primer, and then applied two coats of emulsion to match the walls.

The pics show before ...

Rupster Mon 27-Feb-17 15:33:29

... and after ...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now