Talk

Advanced search

Would you avoid wood grained kitchen units if you have a wooden floor?

(14 Posts)
AalyaSecura Tue 29-Nov-16 19:15:47

I'm toying with two versions of the same kitchen units - one is vinyl wrapped, solid colour, and one is the same colour (grey-brown), but wood grained. I'd been thinking I needed to go with the solid colour because it would be too much wood otherwise, but I do prefer the grained version, and I think looks better quality. Does wood and wood together look too much? I'm struggling to imagine.

bouncydog Wed 30-Nov-16 05:24:47

We've just installed a maple kitchen with a washed teak floor and love it - loads of compliments from others who've seen it. I would steer away from vinyl wrapped units as easily damaged. Better to go for real wood if at all possible. DIY kitchens have good reviews and they do solid wood doors with veneer panels at reasonable cost.

Spring2016 Wed 30-Nov-16 05:34:36

I have a maple kitchen with oak floor and I love it. The grey wood grain is really nice. Bring sample doors home and look at them for a few days. It took me ages to choose what colour stain and wash to get. Best to study in your home, with your lighting and other things. Do you have any pics of the 2 you are considering?

Spring2016 Wed 30-Nov-16 05:41:11

And no, I do not think it is too much wood.

Spring2016 Wed 30-Nov-16 05:44:51

There are a zillion pics on Pinterest that could help you visulize.

shovetheholly Wed 30-Nov-16 08:18:39

I'm having this dilemma!

I'm going to mix up my kitchen units, I think. So there is an oak Amtico floor, then floor-standing white gloss units wrapped with a (fake) oak worktop, then on the wall, wooden units wrapped with white. My kitchen is going to be from Ikea!

PigletJohn Wed 30-Nov-16 08:31:49

you mention vinyl wrap.

I'm not keen because it peels off. First where it is hot or steamy, so above the toaster and kettle, near the oven and microwave; but eventually on worn edges of doors and drawers.

I've even seen it peeling in warehouses.

Sadly the more durable hard laminate is mostly available on flat doors.

Thinkingblonde Wed 30-Nov-16 08:35:42

I'd avoid the vinyl wrapped doors, I have them in my kitchen, the vinyl is lifting on the doors. The kitchen has been in for nine years, the house was a new build and the kitchen was what the builder put in. We noticed after 4 years that the covering on the doors was lifting wherever there was a heat source. Oven, above the kettle, steamer and the extractor fan housing over the job. Looking for new doors now.

shovetheholly Wed 30-Nov-16 08:40:23

I think I used the wrong word pigletjohn blush. This is my first ever kitchen, can you tell? smile

I mean that the worktop will be wrapped around the floor units at the sides as well as on the top. Like in this picture. I don't know what the proper name for it is, sorry!

The units and fronts on the floor will be Ikea Metod/Ringhult with the (fake) oak laminate worktop around them. Then on the walls it will be Ekestad fronts but with white cupboard surrounds. So the floor is white framed in wood and the walls are wood framed in white.

I should mention that so far I have chosen my extractor fan, my sink and my tap based on your recommendations on other threads pigletjohn! So I will definitely listen to your words of caution against vinyl wrap. And any other advice you have including 'Mix and match kitchen units are a terrible idea!'

shovetheholly Wed 30-Nov-16 08:41:20

Oooops, and I just realised that you were talking to the OP not to me.

blush blush blush

PigletJohn Wed 30-Nov-16 09:00:42

holly

yes, you are using the worktop material as an end panel or décor panel, to hide the side or back of the unit. You can get end panels in a fancy hard laminate, or use extra doors. Units are not usually in such an attractive finish, even if you buy the woodgrain or colour-matched ones.

It needs to be spaced slightly off the floor to prevent damp getting into the end when you drop a bottle of milk, leave the taps running, or wet-mop.

AalyaSecura Wed 30-Nov-16 09:07:51

Thanks all! The choice is probably between these two styles, but we are thinking about using these darker units for a wall of tall units and an island, and then a lighter version for the run of worktop height units and wall cabinets. I hear what you're saying about vinyl wrap, I'd heard they didn't last as long.

Spring2016 Wed 30-Nov-16 13:04:30

Either way it will look nice. The darker wood ones are my favorites.

AalyaSecura Wed 30-Nov-16 16:47:37

Thanks Spring, that's the way I'm heading.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now