Talk

Advanced search

*URGENT! * Running central heating with main stopcock turned off

(7 Posts)
user1480444895 Tue 29-Nov-16 18:49:52

My neighbour's outdoor tap split in last night's frost so all mains water tap turned off - there is no isolator for outside tap. Is it safe to run central heating/hot water when water supply is off? It is a conventional ch system with tank in loft, immersion heater etc. Piglet John - are you there?

PossumInAPearTree Tue 29-Nov-16 18:51:58

Yes it's ok. I'm no expert but did used to work for a water company so am used to advising people with no water supply and never heard of this being an issue. Central heating is a sealed system, doesn't take water out the mains.

specialsubject Tue 29-Nov-16 19:45:06

Yes. Currently doing it with a vacant property.

PigletJohn Tue 29-Nov-16 19:51:46

Like Possum says.

BTW it is very easy to fit a service valve inside the house to turn off the oudoor tap supply. Preferably the pipe to the tap should slope downwards through the wall to let it drain a bit, and the tap left p[en.

You can also get an insulated tap cover in some hardware stores. I think Aldi has them at this time of year, of a different style in white polystyrene.

Insulation slows heat loss, it does not prevent it.

If the pipes are exposed, they will freeze

PigletJohn Tue 29-Nov-16 19:52:27

p[en = open

user1480444895 Tue 29-Nov-16 20:09:27

Thanks for this reassuring advice. My neighbour can at least keep warm tonight. I have learnt so much from Piglet John over the years. Much appreciated.

PossumInAPearTree Tue 29-Nov-16 22:28:34

No worries.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now