Talk

Advanced search

Using a crane over my house

(48 Posts)
LondonSuperTrooper Tue 29-Nov-16 16:37:09

My next door neighbour has just posted me a note to say that they are having a delivery for hot tub next week .... but that it will need to be craned into their garden as they can't get it through their house.

The configuration of my driveway would mean that it'll most likely be craned over MY house. How can I tell them nicely that I don't want it going over my property?

These are the same neighbours who kicking an absolute fuss about my installing a gate over my driveway!

nancy75 Tue 29-Nov-16 16:39:05

Would the lorry part of the crane need to drive over/park on your drive?

DoItTooJulia Tue 29-Nov-16 16:41:10

You need the exact plan of action. If it turns out they want to go over your house you have to say no.

I wonder what your buildings insurer would say?

MerdeAlor Tue 29-Nov-16 16:43:25

It'd be petty to say no as long as there is no risk. You are potentially causing them real hassle by saying no, futher destroying your relatiosnhip with them. Is it worth it?

LondonSuperTrooper Tue 29-Nov-16 16:44:35

Nancy, I hope not but they have asked me to not park my car on my driveway!

Oooh good idea about building insurance Julia!

I'll have to brave it & talk to them - I hate confrontations and I always get flustered... and then kick myself for not saying x, y or z!

MoreThanUs Tue 29-Nov-16 16:45:01

I would ask for any details that involved anything going on / over your property.

LondonSuperTrooper Tue 29-Nov-16 16:46:10

Merdealor, they are destroying the relationship by objecting to my installing one fence panel (extension to an existing one) and gate at the end of my driveway!

johnd2 Tue 29-Nov-16 16:46:54

Should be fine as the crane company will have liability insurance they really don't want to have to claim on. That means they'll be extremely careful.
If they do trespass on your air space you can claim for losses but I'm not sure what they'd be.

In your situation I'd suggest asking to see the crane company's insurance first.

PigletJohn Tue 29-Nov-16 16:47:58

of course there is a risk, but it should be small if it is a reputable crane company with skilled operators and a good insurance. How do you know if it is?

If you are asked, and are willing to consider it, I would ask for written information on the company and its insurance, and specifically ask your neighbours how they feel about your gate. if it was me I would prefer not to allow it.

You have noisy drunken parties to look forward to, once your neighbours have their sex pond.

FrogletinaBallerina Tue 29-Nov-16 16:48:42

I think the polite thing to do would have been to check before purchasing how the hot tub was going to get into their garden and enquire if you would be okay with having a crane over your house! I'd never dream of putting a note through someone's door saying I was doing it and can we also use your drive too!

They sound quite thoughtless. If you can't face speaking to them, send a note back asking for the insurance details of the delivery people who will be operating the crane.

LondonSuperTrooper Tue 29-Nov-16 16:51:25

Does this sound OK:

Thanks for your note about the delivery of your hot tub on X December. I would be grateful if you can confirm that the crane & hot tub will not be going over my property.

PigletJohn Tue 29-Nov-16 16:51:33

see? nothing to it.

youtu.be/-7MfHsLT9hY

LondonSuperTrooper Tue 29-Nov-16 16:51:53

Should I add about the crane's insurance details too?

Hoppinggreen Tue 29-Nov-16 16:53:17

I wouldn't
I remember reading about a case years ago where the crane had toppled onto the house. The poor residents were in limbo while the hot tub company, the crane company and the insurance company argued about it for months.
Nobody would be craning anything over my house

graveyardkate Tue 29-Nov-16 16:54:25

No real advice but sympathy as I have entitled neighbours like that. We've suffered months of scaffolding and digging for their extension right up to the boundary this year, yet they display a total refusal to consider our feelings about aspects of the build that impact adversely on us - and still have an expectation of unfettered access to my garden for access to their new wall! Even a please and thank you would make me and DH feel better about it, and asking not telling!
Unless they are actually asking permission to park the crane in your drive, I don't suppose there's much you can do really. Grit your teeth, cross your fingers and don't watch. It won't take long at least.

LondonSuperTrooper Tue 29-Nov-16 16:59:39

OMG PigletJohn! That's my worst nightmare!

I guess that I'm lucky that this is happening on my day off!

EwanWhosearmy Tue 29-Nov-16 17:06:20

Word of warning. Our NDNs had a hot tub, which they had next to or attached to our shared back wall. Every time they used it we suffered very loud vibrations through our house.

Perhaps find out where they are intending to site it, too.

LondonSuperTrooper Tue 29-Nov-16 17:10:41

Thanks Ewanwhosearmy. I don't need to worry about that as the only wall that we share is the garage one - I've got a detached house.

HerRoyalNotness Tue 29-Nov-16 17:12:32

You at least want the crane operators plan, risk assessment, the exact time frame and a reason why they can't crane it over their own house.

If you give permission, go out for a coffee while they're doing it. You can't be in your house, and I doubt you want to watch from the side in case of something going wrong

SocksRock Tue 29-Nov-16 17:33:56

If you don't want them to do it, just refuse to leave your house. No reputable crane operator would consider craning over an occupied building.

Hs2Issue Tue 29-Nov-16 21:07:21

DH who used to work in engineering insurance aka cranes says don't do it. He wouldn't let anyone do it over our house as he knows the risks (even with reputable companies). Let them crane it over their house.

fannyfanackapan Tue 29-Nov-16 21:12:19

I think you need to ask them face to face for the details. You're assuming it's going to be craned over your house when it might not be. As mentioned above reputable crane companies have liability insurance. Unless your neighbours are buying a dodgy Chinese import it's not in the interest of the retailer to recommend a random crane company.

wowfudge Wed 30-Nov-16 07:19:29

Don't send a note - it's kind of passive aggressive and not conducive to a good relationship.

Could you strike a deal with them - you'd like to see the crane company's risk assessment, method statement and insurance cover details in order to see whether the thing is actually going over your house and whether you are comfortable with that. In return for your permission (they may just want to park the crane on your drive in order to lift over next door), you like to put in that last fence panel - it can be stepped down so not as high as the existing fence for driver visibility - so you can put gates up.

Fieldsandgrasses Wed 30-Nov-16 10:13:20

I wouldn't let this happen; if anything does go wrong you'll have the worry and stress of getting it sorted. And they've proved themselves inconsiderate, anyway. I wouldn't go for a coffee, either (they'll go ahead and do it behind your back). I'd be around all day!

sglodion Wed 30-Nov-16 10:27:20

I work for a crane company, what is your drive made of? If it's tarmac then the crane shouldn't go on your drive as it will damage it. Absolutely no way would I be allowing it to go over my house either. I'd stay in and inform the crane driver when he turns up that you don't give permission.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now