Talk

Advanced search

New windows - astrical or not?

(8 Posts)
glittercat Mon 28-Nov-16 19:08:31

Hiya
Asking this for a friend - they are looking at new windows and like the georgian astrical design but don't know anyone else that has them and dont know if they would be a pain with cleaning etc!
Anyone have them/ or advice? Pics would be great! Cheers

graveyardkate Mon 28-Nov-16 23:24:49

They're astragal bars, not astrical. Glazing bars across the pane.

graveyardkate Mon 28-Nov-16 23:26:50

I think you need to be entirely guided by what the house would have had when new.

PigletJohn Tue 29-Nov-16 09:39:30

Are they having wooden windows made? Or is it a plastic window?

How old is the house?

But I agree with kate

glittercat Wed 30-Nov-16 12:06:10

It's a 1930's house - it currently has old wooden double glazed ones in.
Front has two large box bays. I suggested astragal bars on the top windows as I've seen similar ones around the area

wowfudge Wed 30-Nov-16 19:28:06

I'm confused: do you mean bay windows in sections with smaller windows above of the sort that often originally had stained glass in them? Astragal is more what I think of for Georgian houses where the windows split into quarter.

glittercat Wed 30-Nov-16 23:56:14

sorry, yes i mean in sections with smaller windows, some would have had stained glass in them - these ones obv don't otherwise they prob have them incorporated

wowfudge Thu 01-Dec-16 06:56:50

Okay, well I think a window style suited to the house will look better. If not recreating what would have been there originally then a nod to that by replicating the style looks far better than a modern one which will look incongruous.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now