Talk

Advanced search

Where to live in SE London?

(45 Posts)
selondonite Thu 24-Nov-16 12:32:02

Can't decide which area would work best for us. Like east dulwich and honor oak park and herne hill the most, though more expensive I think. Forest Hill also ok though not sure if there is a better side to be on?
Think CP too far out. We have 1.2 possible could stretch a bit more. Want a period 4 bed with decent garden. And dream world parking too! Commute to Bank needed. Need a good school. Would ideally like a school that has a playing field and/or encourages outdoor learning. Like the idea of there being a centre and near to a park or green space.
Where do you think would suit us best? Recommendations on schools would also be helpful. I know Fairlawn and Rosendale supposed to be v good?

newlabelwriter Thu 24-Nov-16 12:40:35

Hello, we're in Forest Hill and love it but if you're after fairlawn then you'll need to be in Honor Oak, which again is really nice but teeny catchment area. Horniman school also lovely and, I think, has a forest school. Brockley also really nice. We are off Stansted Road so very near to Kilmorie school, which we love. Brockley also very nice and lots of people I know are moving to Sydenham, although don't know much about the schools there. PM if you have any other questions

newlabelwriter Thu 24-Nov-16 12:42:24

www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-62995016.html - this a great road and comes with it's own private park and tennis courts! Forest Hill has some great quirky properties.

Bear2014 Thu 24-Nov-16 12:45:56

Honor Oak is lovely and our friends last year bought a huge period 4-bed for 900 ish so definitely not too expensive. Good primary schools too. Herne Hill may be pushing it budget wise but the Ruskin Park end is cheaper and Jessop primary is supposedly great. Thameslink from HH/LJ to City Thameslink.

We're West Dulwich, and bought to be -on the doorstep- in catchment for Rosendale. DD is not there yet but they are supposed to be amazing and they spend loads of time in the park/have an outdoor classroom and access to big playing fields. You could probably get what you are looking for in-budget here too.

EssentialHummus Thu 24-Nov-16 12:49:51

I'd go for this:

www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-56306266.html

This agent is known to price, er, optimistically, so you can knock of £75-£100,000 off the valuation IMO.

Commutable from Brockley, Queens Road, Nunhead and a few other stations, good for primary and high schools, free on-street parking, near a park.

I can also talk about Brockley in excruciating detail if you need wink

LightTheLampNotTheRat Thu 24-Nov-16 13:16:04

The house on Waller Rd that Hummus linked to is in a v nice area. Catchment for Haberdashers too if secondary schools are on your mind at this stage. Telegraph Hill has some great houses. Nunhead and Honor Oak Park and Peckham Rye all fab - many nice houses and plenty of green space. I would choose Nunhead/Telegraph Hill over Forest Hill for proximity to the centre of town.

ocelot41 Thu 24-Nov-16 13:38:26

Hi. We are in Hither Green, with Manor House Gardens at the top of our street. 3 other big green parks in easy walking distance and Blackheath 15 min walk. HG sits at a rail intersection so has fast trains into Cannon St and Charing Cross every few mins. Its lovely, green, well connected and the schools are outstanding. We have just left because I got my dream job in Edinburgh so our gorgeous Edwardian house is for sale, chainfree. If you are interested I will send you a link.

selondonite Thu 24-Nov-16 13:40:36

Great thank you!
Ok... what about green space-any area better than others?
Brockley - hmm I have visited and thought too urban but could be proved wrong. That house is lovely in Waller St though. Think DH may baulk at it better next to NCG though?
West Dulwich - ooh unknown to me, what goes on there?
That house in Forest Hill is great!! What a find...anyone know what stillness school is like as it's in catchment for it.

LightTheLampNotTheRat Thu 24-Nov-16 13:43:51

Lots of kids at my daughter's secondary school went to Stillness. Great kids doing v well, so it seems good to me!

LightTheLampNotTheRat Thu 24-Nov-16 13:45:06

Re New Cross Gate - the entire Telegraph Hill area is next to NCG, and there are wonderful houses and views. I'd prefer that to proximity to the south circular.

Bear2014 Thu 24-Nov-16 13:47:06

West Dulwich - not much goes on there to be honest but if you look at it on the map it's the greenest place ever. We have Brockwell Park, Dulwich Park, Belair Park and are pretty close to Crystal Palace and Norwood Parks too. It's a lovely, very safe area, handy for HH and Dulwich Village and we chose as it's so family friendly (we moved from Brixton). The Rosendale pub does the best roasts ever too, bonus.

We are a 10 min walk to Herne Hill station so generally just go there and get the Thameslink, but West Dulwich Station in the other direction has trains into London Bridge.

EssentialHummus Thu 24-Nov-16 13:47:24

Brockley - it has two halves, basically, divided by the railway. The eastern half contains the conservation area and most of the good schools - so streets like Wickham, Tressilian, Breakspears, Tyrwhitt, Darling, Avon, and schools inc. Myatt Garden, Ashmead and Gordonbrock. John Stainer School is much-loved locally but sits just on the west side. Catchment are small.

For your budget I'd stick to the east side, which I think you'll also find less urban. This, for example, is at £1.2, seven beds but including a self-contained flat that you can rent out. Next to Myatt Garden school, not too far from Hilly Fields park: www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-56521495.html?backListLink=%2Fproperty-for-sale%2Fmap.html%3FincludeSSTC%3Dfalse%26sortType%3D2%26viewType%3DLIST%26channel%3DBUY%26index%3D0%26radius%3D0.0%26numberOfPropertiesPerPage%3D24%26locationIdentifier%3DOUTCODE%255E2331%23_includeSSTC%3Don%26auction%3Dfalse%26locationIdentifier%3DOUTCODE%255E2331%26numberOfPropertiesPerPage%3D24%26previousSearchLocation%3DSE4%26radius%3D0.0%26searchLocation%3DSE4%26searchType%3DSALE%26sortType%3D2%26useLocationIdentifier%3Dfalse%26viewType%3DLIST%26box%3D-0.03700%2C-0.02263%2C51.46612%2C51.47242%26popupPropertyId%3D56521495&fromMap=true

That house is lovely in Waller St though. Think DH may baulk at it better next to NCG though?

You need to cultivate a Look for when people ask you why you spunked £1 million on a house in New Cross, followed by "It's in Telegraph Hill, dahling." Practice on your DH grin.

newlabelwriter Thu 24-Nov-16 13:47:49

selondonite Stillness is a great school - lots of friends with DC there and love it

LightTheLampNotTheRat Thu 24-Nov-16 13:50:52

Sorry - me again - I live near Fairlawn School. There are some great streets/houses in that area, eg Canonbie and Netherby Roads. High up so good views of London. Nearest train station is HOP.

Bear2014 Thu 24-Nov-16 13:51:18

That house is lovely in Waller St though. Think DH may baulk at it better next to NCG though?

Totally get this attitude, my sister went to Goldsmiths 15 years ago and it was a hell hole!! I'm sure it's a whole lot nicer now and full of gastro pubs.

WellTidy Thu 24-Nov-16 13:54:18

You could think about going a bit further out and live in central Bromley. The Bromley north and sundridge park trains connect at grove park, pretty much straight into cannon st trains. Bromley north to grove pat, is five minutes. Sundridge park to grove Pham is three minutes. Grove park to cannon st is 20 minutes. Cannon st is a two minute walk from Bank.

There are very good primaries near both Bromley north and sundridge park stations. Parish c of e primary and valley primary. Also Scott's park primary.

You would get a v nice 4 or 5 bed period detached with a nice garden within your budget.

LightTheLampNotTheRat Thu 24-Nov-16 13:54:45

Somewhere between the two, Bear wink

ocelot41 Thu 24-Nov-16 14:09:10

Have messaged you SELondonite

JW13 Thu 24-Nov-16 14:25:07

I live in Herne Hill and absolutely love it. I'm so evangelical I persuaded our friends to move there too and another is actively viewing properties. confused

Can't comment on schools but have heard Rosendale and Jessop have good Ofsted reports and Charter is apparently a good state secondary. Brockwell Park is amazing - I walk my dog there every weekend and there's a park run on Saturdays. More and more nice independent shops are popping up - there's a new wine shop and I've heard Mae Deli is opening after Christmas too (if you like that kind of thing). The market on Sundays is always great and there are nice pubs too.

Trains are 10 mins from Victoria and about 15-20 mins to Blackfriars/Farringdon so well connected, plus reasonably close to the tube at Brixton (or get the train to Elephant & Castle and change to Bakerloo/Northern lines).

I would have thought that you could get something nice for your budget (possibly not off street parking but really depends on the road and style of house) although house prices have gone crazy over the last few years.

I'd also second West Dulwich, we have friends there who love it and the Roasts at the Rosendale are truly great.

DustOffYourHighestHopes Thu 24-Nov-16 14:33:06

For green space and just a lot of sky, I think it's hard to beat the area all around the Heath and park (in the Greenwich and Blackheath areas).

ocelot41 Thu 24-Nov-16 14:35:52

Seconded Dust off! I used to live in Greenwich but moved to Hither Green for schools - it is still an easy trot out though. That whole Blackheath/Greenwich/HG belt is so green and relaxed.

DustOffYourHighestHopes Thu 24-Nov-16 14:42:32

To be fair, in that part of London - a 4 bed period property and parking is probably going to have some downsides to be £1.2m (if that is your budget, I think from your Op). Small garden/15min+ walk to station etc. Worth a look though. Just being jogging/walking distance to the Heath is v nice if you or your OP like to run. Greenwich park has lots of parking (never had a problem apart from weekends in the middle of summer) so you don't have to be next door to it to enjoy it.

Hither Green, blackheath and Greenwich have amazing links into London, for Bank I would do:
- train to Waterloo east, Waterloo city line to Bank.
- train (or walk) to Lewisham, DLR to bank.

Check out the chunk of land between the Heath and Lewisham station.

ocelot41 Thu 24-Nov-16 14:59:19

Not in Hither Green! Miles cheaper than Blackheath and the east side is really pretty, conservation area stuff. (Will stop punting it shamelessly now..am not an estate agent, promise!.)

Sweptwindy17 Thu 24-Nov-16 15:18:43

I've been to a few of those houses on Waller, Erlanger and Pepys Roads when the good people of Telegraph Hill open up their gardens for the festival. There's nothing about them that's small i.e. some gardens getting on for 40m!

I can understand why one might get a funny look about New Cross Gate. It's firmly resisting any kind of uplift unlike Brockley or even Queens Road Peckham.

If the proposed Bakerloo line extension down Old Kent Road to Lewisham actually gets off the ground, then that might change things.

EssentialHummus Thu 24-Nov-16 16:35:06

This is also in your budget on Tele Hill once you factor out the Foxtons tax.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now