Talk

Advanced search

Anyone used the eco boiler scheme?

(9 Posts)
glittercat Wed 23-Nov-16 20:44:48

Hiya, just moved in a new house and the boiler broke straight away - have applied for the eco scheme and had a few people come round - just waiting to hear back
Anyone else used this?

PigletJohn Wed 23-Nov-16 22:20:32

never heard of it

have you got a link?

Is it this one?
www.gov.uk/energy-company-obligation

PigletJohn Wed 23-Nov-16 22:22:28

ah, this one
www.npower.com/at_home/applications/tactical/eligibilitycheck/Step1.aspx?

Did you apply via a leads-harvesting website, which passes your details to salesmen?

glittercat Wed 23-Nov-16 22:41:17

Yeah that's the one
www.gov.uk/energy-company-obligation

To be honest I don't know who I applied with anymore as I looked at so many different things!

PigletJohn Wed 23-Nov-16 22:52:41

here's more

I am a bit grumpy because there are dozens of scam websites with names like governmentgrants.co.uk and subsidisedboilers.co.uk who are not actually part of these schemes, they just get your name and address and other details and sell it to installers who know you are in the market for a new boiler.

I'd go straight to an energy supplier in the first place, then seek out a decent installer.

I understand British Gas closed their scheme when they used up this year's budget. www.britishgas.co.uk/energy-saving-products/free-gas-boiler

EDF seem to be still accepting applications.

If this is the scheme I'm thinking of, it is paid for by the energy companies, not the government, and they fund it by putting an extra charge on everybody's gas and electricity bill. The government forces them to do this, which is why it's called an "obligation."

Hermano Fri 25-Nov-16 06:31:04

Piglet that's correct, though just to add a but of info the point of the scheme is to reduce eligible people's heating costs / carbon emissions. It's to help gov reach their fuel poverty and carbon emission targets.

If the energy companies don't meet their obligation then they get fined, so the charge gets added into bills in either case - so might as well use the scheme and either save a few quid or save some carbon, just as the scheme intends. I'd hate for eligible people not to apply

BikeRunSki Fri 25-Nov-16 06:44:41

Do you get to keep the boiler? The scheme we looked at a couple of years ago, was essentially a scheme for a long term loan of the boiler, which did not transfer with a house sale.

Hermano Fri 25-Nov-16 07:35:07

That sounds dodgy bike. I think the boilers are given free to keep. I'd only talk to actual energy companies, probably only big 6 too as last I knew they were the only ones with obligations.

glittercat Mon 28-Nov-16 19:05:50

We're still waiting for eon to contact us back - they said they have a massive queue!
Waiting for two other companies who apply for funding form the main companies to get back to us. Data has come back unmatched for some reason. Maybe as we had just moved...? We've already been waiting two months so far. Im just really hoping someone will come back to us with some good news soon!
Yes Bike you get to keep the boiler with this scheme which is the eo scheme but I also think that's the case with some of the others like affordable warmth/ warm front etc

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now