Talk

Advanced search

Iroko Worktops

(19 Posts)
User1029384746 Wed 23-Nov-16 19:04:03

Has anyone got an iroko worktop? If yes, how much did it darken over time?

We've been looking at worktop express and loved how rich and warm the iroko on there looks.

I knew that the sample would be paler, as the iroko darkens in time, but this sample looks like a completely different species!!

Attached is a photo of the sample on top of their brochure.

We would use Osmo on ours so don't know if that would affect the colour?

Sometimespostingalwayslurking Wed 23-Nov-16 22:30:36

Our 4 year old iroko worktop from worktop express has the dark colour just like on their website. The oil makes all the difference. Think we have danish oil but it may be osmo, haven't applied it for ages but I remember to start with we applied several layers.

whataboutbob Thu 24-Nov-16 16:49:45

I have an iroko worktop but it wa recycled (an ex science lab worktop). It is darker than the picture. It really needs oiling on a regular basis (at least monthly) to look good. i have been a bit lazy with this.

User1029384746 Sun 27-Nov-16 10:50:56

Sorry, I forgot is started this.

Thanks for your replies. It's a shame they send you fresh cuts as their sample, it makes it really difficult to decide which to go for!

I really like the darkened iroko but don't want to risk ordering it if I'm not 100% sure what the final colour would be. I don't want it to look like we've tried to match it to our floor and failed.

We're thinking of going with their oak instead. I'd like to make a decision today as they have 15% off at the moment.

Thanks again.

Stripyfeet Sun 27-Nov-16 20:12:10

We have iroko from worktop express. I remember it darkening up no end after a couple of coats of Danish oil. It it definitely more like the colour shown on your brochure, rather than the sample piece.

justaweeone Sun 27-Nov-16 20:17:02

I would say ours hasn't majorly darkened, now 8 years old, however it was dark when it was installed
We use danish oil
Re matching flooring, I was given a tip once and told not to try and match and that it was better to gonfor different tones of wood rather than try to match wood

didireallysaythat Sun 27-Nov-16 22:02:18

OP - I smiled when I read this. I visited a showroom and they were good enough to find me an older sample to take away, and yes it was darker than the samples at the top of their drawer. I've decided on a different wood and would like to make use of their current offer but I won't have the cabinets for another week and I'm too much a coward to order early !

User1029384746 Mon 28-Nov-16 10:18:00

Thanks Stripy

just That tip is what my Dh has read which is why he wants to go with the oak. Our floor is from Simply Bamboo and is their medium coffee.

did There's no harm in contacting them to see if they'll still honour the offer next week. You never know!

I just don't want it to look yellow!!

WellErrr Mon 28-Nov-16 10:19:47

I have Iroko. Much nicer than oak.
It's definitely dark like in the picture. It's the oiling that makes it dark. It's lovely, like Walnut. Mine badly needs oiling though!!

User1029384746 Mon 28-Nov-16 10:28:59

Well arghhhh! Now I'm not sure... I thought I'd enjoy choosing the kitchen/flooring etc after the stress of building work.

However, this is just as stressful if not more so!

WellErrr Mon 28-Nov-16 10:32:57

We built our own house, and choosing everything to go in it was just a massive stress.

WellErrr Mon 28-Nov-16 10:35:10

My Iroko tops. In need of a clean and an oil. They go darker each time they're oiled too.

justaweeone Mon 28-Nov-16 10:50:09

This is ours

User1029384746 Mon 28-Nov-16 11:06:36

Thank you for the photos, very kind of you both.

Now I really can't decide as I love your iroko ones so much but just worried it's too similar to our floor.

Decisions decisions...

justaweeone Mon 28-Nov-16 12:37:30

Op that sample is really yellow, our looked nothing like that when installed
What flooring dare you having?

justaweeone Mon 28-Nov-16 12:37:39

Are

User1029384746 Mon 28-Nov-16 13:24:27

We've already had this floor installed...

simplybamboo.co.uk/collections/strand-woven-series/products/medium-coffee-strand-uniclic-bamboo-flooring

justaweeone Mon 28-Nov-16 13:48:18

Lovely floor
What colour are your units? Bare in mind that the units will break up the colour between the worktop and floor

User1029384746 Mon 28-Nov-16 13:51:54

We've got the luca kitchen in matt white from DIY-Kitchens

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now