Talk

Advanced search

Kitchen advice

(11 Posts)
subzerotemp Wed 23-Nov-16 12:51:56

After a lot of juggling between timeline to have a new kitchen and the cost involved, I'm left with 2 choices of kitchen - either DIY kitchens (Linwood painted) or Howdens Burford Stone kitchen.

Appreciate some advice on which one is better quality wise ? One big plus for the Diy kitchen is the mantle over the hob - I love that look!

The description for Linwood is 'solid timber frame with veneered centre panel' and Burford Stone I think it's MDF (not sure).

Our kitchen fitter is happy to work with any. Please help!

subzerotemp Wed 23-Nov-16 12:52:29

After a lot of juggling between timeline to have a new kitchen and the cost involved, I'm left with 2 choices of kitchen - either DIY kitchens (Linwood painted) or Howdens Burford Stone kitchen.

Appreciate some advice on which one is better quality wise ? One big plus for the Diy kitchen is the mantle over the hob - I love that look!

The description for Linwood is 'solid timber frame with veneered centre panel' and Burford Stone I think it's MDF (not sure).

Our kitchen fitter is happy to work with any. Please help!

Stumbleine Wed 23-Nov-16 13:00:30

We've just had a diy kitchen fitted, and our fitters were astonished at the quality. They fit a lot of Howdens kitchens and were initially keen for me to go with them; following fitting my kitchen they have commented that Howdens have a way to go to match diy in quality for money! They were really impressed!

flownthecoopkiwi Wed 23-Nov-16 14:05:40

Howdens weren't great for us. Forgot to send half the stuff, the quality wasn't that amazing for the price. Getting a new kitchen in new house and wouldn't go back to them.

user1469117700 Wed 23-Nov-16 14:23:41

Burford range is a vinyl wrap - not good really.
Always select a wood over a vinly.

Pumakatari Thu 24-Nov-16 00:51:42

We've just fitted a DIY kitchen and can echo what Stumbline said: the fitter was really impressed with the quality and also the careful way that it was packed for delivery.

They were very helpful when I had questions pre-order, the ordering process was smooth and hassle free and it was delivered on time. We'd certainly recommend them!

subzerotemp Fri 25-Nov-16 16:12:38

Thank you ladies! Diy kitchen it is!

sellotape12 Fri 25-Nov-16 20:30:52

Oh my gosh, they are our two finalists too!

We went up to Wakefield to visit the DIY Kitchens showroom. It was a really great experience with lots of kitchens, helpful staff and even free food cooked by a chef!

They compare the two there. I think they are extremely similar quality wise. Think we will swing with Lynnwood from DIY kitchens because there's simply more choices available for the type of cupboard or cabinet. And colour!

Ramona75 Sat 26-Nov-16 07:09:48

Solid wood over vinyl anytime :-)

subzerotemp Sun 27-Nov-16 17:31:38

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Equimum Mon 28-Nov-16 08:52:32

We bought the DIY kitchens Linwood painted just over a year ago, and had it fitted by a professional. We also looked at a similar MDF design from Howdens (which our fitter usually installed), but liked the idea of solids wood. We are really happy with the units and doors, and our fitter said many times that he thought the quality was far superior to the Gowdebs equivalent (at a fraction of the cost).

Good luck designing and choosing!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now