Talk

Advanced search

Walk in shower flooding whole bathroom- any ideas?

(12 Posts)
SpotTheDuck Wed 23-Nov-16 09:31:10

Just bought a new house, and the walk in shower floods the whole bathroom as the water goes everywhere.

The floor of the shower is tiled and slopes down to a drain. The exit from the shower is slightly raised, a low level tray I think it's called. So we thought it would be ok when we viewed!

Any suggestions? Do we just have to accept mopping up the whole floor after every shower? I have reduced mobility so not easy for me plus I'm at risk of slipping if we leave the floor wet, so I'm hoping for a magical mumsnet solution.

EleanorRigby123 Wed 23-Nov-16 09:35:51

Does it have glass walls or a curtain?

LIZS Wed 23-Nov-16 09:35:53

Can you reangle the shower head ?

trixymalixy Wed 23-Nov-16 09:37:48

when you say the water goes everywhere is it spray from the shower or is it slow draining?

If slow draining then get some drain unblocker and leave that overnight.

bookbook Wed 23-Nov-16 09:41:07

Do check to see if the drain is bunged up - it makes a big difference to how quickly it drains. There should be a tool to get the drain lid off, and maybe a filter underneath. Try that first .

bookbook Wed 23-Nov-16 09:42:31

oh - cross post - but try unblocking the non chemical way first. When my girls were still at home, hair blocked it up regularly.

YelloDraw Wed 23-Nov-16 09:53:22

As PPs say - is it spray or slow draining standing water?

If spray try angling the head or installing a screen or curtain.if slow draining do some unblocking investigation.

wowfudge Wed 23-Nov-16 10:11:09

Is it a new build? If so, go back to the builder about it. It might be incorrectly fitted.

SpotTheDuck Wed 23-Nov-16 10:40:27

Thanks all! It's not a new build, roughly 4 years old.

It's partly spray and partly slow-draining I think, so we'all try the drain unblocker.

There's a glass screen but that only covers the area directly beside the shower, most of the space is open.

The shower is a waterfall head, I don't think we can adjust the angle at all

EleanorRigby123 Wed 23-Nov-16 13:57:30

I thunk that the open space is the issue...
Can you extend the glass walls or at very least fit a curtain?
Not pretty I know...

PigletJohn Wed 23-Nov-16 18:33:30

shower drains are today usually cleanable from above. There might be a mushroom cover you can lift off, or a detritus bowl under the grille.

Clean out the trap as best you can. Then use a drain pump with the water running to give it a good clean. Most detritus can be removed like that, and by spooning washing soda crystals down it overnight if there is a greasy or soap accumulation. I'm told Veet will break down hairballs but have never tried it.

Has it ever worked properly? If not, it may have been laid with insufficient fall, or elbows that obstruct flow or encourage blockages.

Try to work out where the drain from the shower joins the main water pipe or soil pipe. It might be necessary to open it to inspect for blockage, or to attempt to clear it.

various drain pumps are available Better than sink plungers.

SpotTheDuck Thu 24-Nov-16 16:11:31

That is so helpful, thanks very much!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now