Talk

Advanced search

Decorating advice

(8 Posts)
57968sp Sun 20-Nov-16 15:57:45

Whole interior, white walls/white woodwork.......suits me perfectly but I need advice about sheen.
At the moment I have gloss woodwork and silk finish walls but need to redecorate and was wondering what difference a matt finish would make?
Any experts out there?

SexNamesRFab Mon 21-Nov-16 22:13:30

Matt is a more modern and less harsh finish. I prefer satinwood to gloss as I think it stays white for longer.

WoodsTreesWhere Mon 21-Nov-16 22:52:28

I have Dulux trade Matt white and quick drying water based eggshell gloss which is much more Matt than the traditional oil based gloss. Also smells a lot better and releases less VOCs!

I think it looks great, but then I don't like he shine of when light bounces of sheen paint, I think it can make it looks cheap, but very aware that's only my opinion!

Georgiesgirl Tue 22-Nov-16 05:21:37

Matt paint is far more forgiving than gloss. Anything with a sheen shows up imperfections a lot more. And yes, matt looks more modern.

mumofone1234 Sat 26-Nov-16 01:31:26

Another vote here for matt. I had Dulux painters paint my whole house in silk a few years ago. I was so horrified at how the sheen showed up every imperfection in the walls that I had to get them to redo the whole thing in matt sad

PigletJohn Sat 26-Nov-16 15:03:16

Imperfections? You have imperfections in your house? Needs more prep.

I don't mind Satinwood, but eggshell and matt I don't like, because they hold dirt and are difficult to get clean.

mumofone1234 Sat 26-Nov-16 18:38:14

Yes, piglet, not all of us live in brand new houses with perfectly straight and smooth walls hmm

PigletJohn Sat 26-Nov-16 18:46:25

I live in an old house with almost perfectly smooth walls.

It did take a bit of work.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now