Underfloor heating

(13 Posts)
Bellatrixandstrange Sun 20-Nov-16 14:17:49

We're in the middle of a kitchen extension. The screed should go down the week after next. I'm suddenly panicking about heating the room. It will be approx 30 m2, south facing with only one radiator. Please can I have some advice and experience. How much is it for dry underfloor heating, where should I get it, is it worth it and is it expensive to run? Thank you!

namechangedtoday15 Sun 20-Nov-16 16:26:51

Do you mean electric UFH? If so if you do a search on archived posts, you'll see that lots of people say its very expensive to run and that in such a large space, it would be an extra source if heat rather than the prime source. We have it in (small) bathroom and (tiny) ensuite and its great but not sure for how long you'd need it on for (and therefore his expensive it would be) to heat up a downstairs space that big.

I would suggest instead adding another radiator - work out the BTUs you need and buy accordingly. We have an extension that big and have 2 column radiators and its toasty!

Bellatrixandstrange Sun 20-Nov-16 18:11:49

Thank you, we've been trying to figure out where we could put more radiators but the kitchen design we've set our heart on means we're really limited on wall space. How wide are your radiators?

3kidsandus Sun 20-Nov-16 19:10:44

We've just last week put in wet UFH then the screed went on top so no radiators. Worth asking builders for a quote as they might be able to get it at a reasonable price? Good luck with it!!

foodiefil Sun 20-Nov-16 19:15:14

I've just put in underfloor heating in quite a large kitchen - electric - and only just learning it's not cheap to run BUT have also been told that you can turn it on and let it heat up then if you turn it off it retains the heat for a while. I'd probably get underfloor heating as well - it's nice isn't it

YoHoHoandabottleofTequila Sun 20-Nov-16 20:11:35

I would get wet underfloor heating it's much cheaper to run.

Madbengalmum Sun 20-Nov-16 20:15:04

Dont do electric. Make sure you have a very good plumber for water, as if you have a leak your whole floor is coming up. Can be a nightmare. Plus it takes quite a long time to heat up, hours even. It isnt an instant heat like a radiator.

namechangedtoday15 Sun 20-Nov-16 22:25:21

We have Acova radiators - each about 50cm wide (over 2m tall). They came recommended and really heat up the space quickly (our space is about 42 square metres)

Ntinyn Mon 21-Nov-16 06:33:53

We have laid wet heating, no radiators in new extension. The screed goes on top of the pipes so not too late for your builder/plumber to give you a quote and explain practicalities.

Bellatrixandstrange Mon 21-Nov-16 16:00:50

Excellent. Thank you for all your help.

Chasingsquirrels Mon 21-Nov-16 17:50:57

Just looking at my column radiators, I'd say they are about 35-40cm wide.

123rd Wed 23-Nov-16 02:26:58

Had wet ufh laid in our extension last year. It is sooooo nice. We have still got one rad at the far end of a large room but never turn it on

Whatdoiknow31 Wed 23-Nov-16 08:15:01

We have wet underfloor in our conservatory, it's lovely. Keeps the room lovely and warm.

My only regret is not having it in the rest of the house, but I refuse to live in a builders site whilst all the floors are taken up. 😳

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now