Snagging? And surveys?

(4 Posts)
CrotchetQuaverMinim Fri 18-Nov-16 10:57:45

Would you have a snagging survey done on a new build flat in a block of flats? The estate agent obviously says oh no need, but I think it would probably be good.

What about a regular survey?

I know both are much more important for an actual house than a block of flats. But I'm cautious, and I've never done anything like this before!

Flightofthecondor Sat 19-Nov-16 21:41:39

I've never bought new a build (just old stuff) but surely it comes with a guarantee? Does it have certification for works etc?

I have had surveys before and although I will still get one again, they aren't all that great. A lot of things (damp etc) can't been seen and they won't pull up carpets etc. They've missed things too. But they come with a disclaimer.
Of course you're right not too trust the estate agent, and if they said no need, I think yes need.

lionsleepstonight Sat 19-Nov-16 22:35:52

I always thought you did have a snag survey with a new build. It's to pick up issues from poor paintwork right up to build issues. The builder then agrees what they will fix. If your using a mortgage you'll at least need the small survey type. Even that is still worth getting for piece of mind even if you are a cash buyer.

CrotchetQuaverMinim Sun 20-Nov-16 10:19:56

I've not got far enough to know about the mortgage, but I think the broker said they do a sort of valuation survey only.

The snagging seems to be something that you can do in the first two years, for the guarantee - but lots of places seem to recommend you do it before you move it, so that they can fix anything without disruption, if it's anything big. And that they'd find all sorts of things that you might miss (though if you never notice them, they can't be that bad?! I guess you might notice it later, though).

I think I probably will. But maybe not the normal survey, as that seems slightly overkill.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now