How much did removals cost you?

(16 Posts)
Dumbled Wed 16-Nov-16 23:45:15

Hoping to move soon so we have been getting some quotes from removal firms.

I am shocked at the quotes £1000 for a very basic service (we pack it all they just load up the vans drive it) to £2700 for full service. We have a small house and are moving only 15 minutes away- I could understand if it was miles away?

Are these prices normal these days?

wooooofudge Thu 17-Nov-16 00:35:42

We moved a twenty minute drive away to a house with difficult access. Our old house had large cellars and a vast garage, the new one has attic storage instead. The removal men loved us grin. For a full packing and moving service we paid £1700. That was our cheapest quote of four and we went with them largely because they actually went to have a look at our new place to figure out what they needed to provide. None of the others did. Paying for packing made the moving process a lot less stressful.

flownthecoopkiwi Thu 17-Nov-16 06:58:30

We have been quoted btwn 1-1.3K to move small 3 bed with full packing

gininteacupsandleavesonthelawn Thu 17-Nov-16 07:00:38

Moved out of a 2bed in city centre to house 7miles away - £800

OhTheRoses Thu 17-Nov-16 07:02:29

£2700 sounds toppy.

JCleRoux Thu 17-Nov-16 07:07:31

I was just thinking the same thing OP. We are moving 4miles away and getting quotes for £800! 😳 Last year friends moved 15 miles away and paid £200. I just don't understand how prices can increase so dramatically in just one year.

JammyTodger Thu 17-Nov-16 07:08:00

Wow! £400 to move large 3 bed + huge garage and cellar to 4 bed a few miles away. Included all boxes and we had to do nothing on moving day. We were surprised how cheap it was tbh. Dearest quote we had was £700. We're in the Midlands.

ProseccoPoppy Thu 17-Nov-16 07:08:58

We're getting quotes right now - moving about 60/70 miles from a 2 bed town centre to a family home - quotes range from £750 - £1200. Some of the big national companies like Pickfords quoted quite a bit less and included more in the way of packing than the local companies (I thought they'd be quite similar or if anything the other way around, but guess economies of scale or something).

PurpleDaisies Thu 17-Nov-16 07:11:39

We paid £2k including full packing, moving into storage, five weeks of storage, taking everything out of storage, driving 3 hours in the lorry and rebuilding our furniture. It would have been £1.2k without the extra handling and storage fees.

That seems an expensive quote.

HatePaperDoll Thu 17-Nov-16 07:12:55

3 Bed house, moving 10 miles away and we packed ourselves - £300

Completion date was brought forward at the very last minute and the company I had booked couldn't do the new date so had to use a local man-with-a-van type set up as no-one else was available. The service was brilliant and I ended up saving ££££.

Next time I'll definitely get the packing service though as that was the bit I found most stressful.

Crispsheets Thu 17-Nov-16 07:13:34

£450 to move 2 miles away...five bed house. They had 3 beds to dismantle and reassemble.
SW London

Ihearthickson Thu 17-Nov-16 07:14:37

£425 3 years ago from 3 bed to bigger property 15 miles away. All packing materials supplied but we packed ourselves. Where do you live?

Ruhrpott Thu 17-Nov-16 07:31:56

We did it ourselves with a hired van for the weekend but we had both houses for a few weeks so no need to be back in/out quickly and the new house was up a small single track lane and anything bigger than a large transit van wouldn't fit so the removal companies didn't really want to quote.

DamsonGinIsMyThing Thu 17-Nov-16 07:36:00

Man with a van, I packed, we both loaded/unloaded, 60 mile journey - £80.

acceptnothing Thu 17-Nov-16 07:45:19

£900 for full packing, 4 bed to 4 bed. That didn't include the loft, garden or outbuildings.
The packing service was definitely worth it.
Rural SW

I found them on a comparison website.

thenewaveragebear1983 Thu 17-Nov-16 21:43:12

We moved to the same postcode- £780 inc vat for a 4 bed house - increased to £1020 to dismantle 4 x double pax IKEA wardrobes. No boxes provided, although they should have been (we got a lot for free but realistically 100 boxes & packing materials could cost you £150-200)
Seems a lot- but we couldn't have done in a month what those 5 lads did in a day. No breakages, treated our prized possessions and our junk with care and respect, absolutely exhausting work and I would recommend them like a shot. Even though we moved literally down the road it didn't matter, although I suppose fuel could add up if you're moving a long way.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now