Talk

Advanced search

Work surface on an island

(7 Posts)
didireallysaythat Wed 16-Nov-16 21:28:03

How much bigger than an island would you make the work surface ? Flush seems a bit, well, tight ? You want some overhang so you wipe surfaces and catch crumbs, right ?

lauraknightc Thu 17-Nov-16 11:03:59

20mm overhang is usually the standard

namechangedtoday15 Thu 17-Nov-16 11:11:51

I think it depends what style of kitchen you're having - I think the traditional overhang looks OK with shaker style kitchens / more of a traditional look, but if you're going for a more contemporary / minimal look, then you don't really want an overhang at all. We had 5mm all the way round with a contemporary kitchen and it looked fab.

The worktop company should come out to template once the kitchen is in situ so there shouldn't be any issues with exact, precise measurements.

didireallysaythat Fri 18-Nov-16 19:25:52

namechange - didn't mention - it will be a wood work surface so no template required. It will be over a handleless island - not sure that helps with the decision though.

namechangedtoday15 Fri 18-Nov-16 19:43:41

yes I think with a handleless kitchen (that's what we had) the overhang would be a bit more obvious because there is no handle sticking out to balance it out (if you see what I mean). Just my personal view, but a handleless kitchen lends itself to a streamlined finish.

YelloDraw Fri 18-Nov-16 21:11:09

Oh I like overhangs. Handy for wiping crumbs off and stuff... are they really dated now then?

namechangedtoday15 Sat 19-Nov-16 14:28:23

No I don't think they're dated in all kitchens, but with handleless kitchens, an overhang would be really obvious - the cupboard / drawer is kind of inset into the cupboard frame / under the worktop.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now