High Wycombe/other areas - opinions please

(11 Posts)
Rollinghills30 Wed 16-Nov-16 07:28:15

We are looking at moving in the next 18 months. Currently in the South East after having moved down from Leicestershire and I'm really not happy here. It just isn't me for many reasons. Husband works in central London so as long as he can get to his work in a max 1 hour 45 then that's fine.

I've visited Bucks often but only one town in particular - but I know the surrounding countryside in The Chilterns is very pretty as we went walking there. Access to good walking is very important to me as we are a 'get your wellies on and go for a trudge on a Saturday' kind of family. Rolling hills - peaceful countryside - not man made parks/paths.

Thinking about going to look at High Wycombe as a starting point. I like the fact is has good access into London, decent schools (although correct me if I'm mistaken here), shopping and access to the countryside. Think we could just about find a 4 bed house within our budget. Keen to hear what people think about HW - the good and the bad. Open to other areas though so fire away!

These are the things important to me -

Good schools
Clubs - dancing and Scouts
Not more than 1 hr 45 to central London
Access to countryside - lots of walking footpaths, not so much 'parks'
Places to go out to such as National Trust
Good facilities - nice swimming pool etc
Shopping - not more than 30 min to a proper shopping centre with John Lewis etc
Decent supermarket - e.g. Tesco Extra

Not much to ask is it? grin

These things, other than commute time, are all basically non existent where we live now - our family life and balance is just not what it was. I really want to get it right this time.

I would be really grateful for any opinions and suggestions on areas. Would like to be more north than south of London though as feel really cut off from everything down here and would like to be able to get back and see friends in the Midlands more easily.

Thank you! smile

Mummyshortlegz Wed 16-Nov-16 07:37:29

Schools are excellent but the house prices reflect that. John Lewis isn't very big and is out of town. There is a lot of expansion planned in hazlemere and you need to look at the route for hs2 if you are looking further out.

I'm from HW but we live in Milton Keynes now as the housing prices are better. Into Euston takes 45 minutes and my DH commutes to Canary Wharf in about 1hr20. We have much more countryside here than you'd imagine and lakes, woods, country parks.

Daisiesandgerberas Wed 16-Nov-16 13:22:20

Hi OP,
If you use the search facility here on MN looking for High Wycombe, this has been discussed loads of times.

You can plough through them & finds some helpful info.

I haven't got time to comment in detail now (despite being in HW!) but will try & input this eve.

Rollinghills30 Wed 16-Nov-16 13:39:24

Thank you both! Mummyshortlegz - it's interesting that you are in MK. That is the other place we will look at. I have been once before but only saw the most inner bit - great John Lewis grin but I was put off by so many housing estates and wasn't sure there was enough countryside - however, I've since lived in a village (very unfriendly!) so wouldn't mind a newer house on an estate so much now. I used to live on an estate as a child and I always feel sad that my children can't ride a bike in the road like I did! I also only saw a tiny bit of MK so probably wasn't getting a totally balanced view of it. When we go and see it, where would you suggest we look? Open to nice housing estates not too far from countryside and villages where DH can drive to station quickly,

Daisies - would love to hear your thoughts on HW later and I'll have a look at previous posts - thank you smile

Mummyshortlegz Wed 16-Nov-16 14:02:09

Stony Stratford is a good area as they are building a lot there. There is also broughton gate to the east that is expanding. Both are the borders of the town and surrounded by country side. Mk has a massive cycle network and it is possible to get everywhere on redways away from cars.

Allthebestnamesareused Wed 16-Nov-16 16:39:24

We used to live in Olney just north of MK. It was great. 15 mins to anywhere (MK centre, the gym at Willen Lake, the big Tesco) and I worked in High Holborn and the train was 45 mins into Eustonand 10 mins on tube. House prices in North Bucks are a lot cheaper than South Bucks too.

Rollinghills30 Wed 16-Nov-16 17:41:56

Thanks, Allthebest! That's useful. Does Olney have any facilities there itself? Where would one take the children swimming for example? I'm not the world's bravest driver so it would be important that things were fairly simple to get to! Also - is it possible to do proper countryside walking from Olney? Many thanks xx

Allthebestnamesareused Wed 16-Nov-16 19:54:37

Olney is a little market town with shops and restaurants etc and is famous for its pancake race but main things like swimming, snowdome, cinema are in MK itself which is really easy to get round as its on an American grid system. The roads are H or V (horizontal or vertical). Then numbered so directions sre go up v5 and turn left at H4 (which is after H3 or before H5). So as a newcomer its really easy to find your way everywhere

Rollinghills30 Wed 16-Nov-16 22:04:38

Thanks Allthebestnames. Really appreciate the info x

Daisiesandgerberas Thu 17-Nov-16 02:16:22

I was going to advise on areas within HW - the nicer places surrounding the town within 5 miles or so but it looks like you're able to go further afield which is good wink

Having seen your ideal, I'm not sure HW completes your wishes. The closer to the town centre you are the fewer footpaths/country feel you get. The shops are 'ok' but the town is split very clearly between the brand new bit which makes the old bit feel very old & dirty.

Thame is an old market town with plenty of individual non-chain shops yet easily accessible to Haddenham & Thame Parkway train station which goes to London. It has a sports centre & library.

Loads of fields & country walking 2 minutes out of town on foot plus numerous villages within 4 miles.

The link is for clubs & groups because you mention them in your OP.

www.thame.net/thame-community/clubs-and-groups/

Princes Risborough has less shops (realistically they're charity shops and estate agents with a few, individual ones) but the trade-off for that is the walks at Whiteleaf, Bryants Bottom, Looseley Row (& surrounding areas) and the Phoenix Trail.

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phoenix_Trail

You have Princes train station & Monks Risborough train stations which also take you to London. It also has a sports centre (albeit smaller) & library.

Chiltern Railways provide the service for both Risb & Thame.

www.chilternrailways.co.uk

Marlow is popular but I don't know enough about it to post.

You could go the other way from HW & look at Beaconsfield but your budget will determine if that's a viable option.

Wendover & Great Missenden have all the walks you'll ever need and are stunningly beautiful as well as offering the commute but the latter doesn't have a sports centre.

HS2 will damage this so look at this for more info.

www.aylesburyvaledc.gov.uk/node/615

I think you have enough to mull over for now (what with MK in the mix as well) so won't bombard you any further smile

Mk is great. You have the Redways which are purpose built footpaths and if you drive around you will see some nice 'pockets'. I don't know it or Olney well enough to comment further.

come back with questions if you have any smile

Rollinghills30 Thu 17-Nov-16 05:43:24

Wow, that is SO helpful Daisies, thank you so much! I will mull over what you have said and look at the other areas you mentioned in more detail. I seriously can't believe a total stranger would take the time to reply with such detail - thank you! I'm sure this may generate more questions wink x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now