Talk

Advanced search

How much time to do these jobs whilst house is empty?

(6 Posts)
Difficultyear2015 Mon 14-Nov-16 13:40:12

Buying a house that needs work before moving in.
We currently live in a rented apartment so wondering how long we may need to overlap.

Jobs to do are:

New Kitchen
New Bathroom
Carpet Throughout (4 rooms)
Paint Throughout (6 rooms)

Do you think 2 months will be enough? I was hopeful of doing it in less if possible.

johnd2 Mon 14-Nov-16 13:58:15

I think they can do the kitchen and bathroom in parallel anyway. Even so, I think 2 months would be plenty of time for the actual work, however the difficult bit is organising someone and having them turn up on the day! If it'll cost you a lot to have a delay, consider going for a bigger company and writing in the contract that time is of the essence and getting them to pay your rent if they're late.
It'll cost you more as they're taking the risk, but think of it like paying for insurance.

anotherdayanothersquabble Mon 14-Nov-16 15:33:19

Well planned, someone on top of the schedule, materials available before the work starts, someone one hand to answers queries, reschedule, fix problems that arise, get hold of additional materials. Yes, I think it could work. I would attempt to fit the plan into 6 weeks which will allow for a small delay.

YelloDraw Mon 14-Nov-16 16:29:58

Work can 100% be done in 2 months BUT as PP said the difficulty will be in getting quotes and getting a time slot from a good bathroom / kitchen fitter / builder etc.

Get on finding a kitchen/bathroom fitter ASAP.

MyNameIsCleo Mon 14-Nov-16 16:53:14

Agree with both PP. Get looking for people straight away, their lead times will be the issue rather than the time to actually do the work. While it is expensive to pay extra rent I'd go for two months to give time if you can.

Absolute priorities for getting done before you get in (if need to doing) - re-wiring (dust hell), any sort of wall moving / plaster off replastering (also dust hell), kitchen (living without one such little fun...), bathroom (usually takes about two weeks for full refit, no shower for most of it and no toilet for a couple of days...), carpets / flooring (million times easier before you get your furniture in).

Good luck - it will be great when it's all done!

Difficultyear2015 Mon 14-Nov-16 18:40:11

Great thank you!

Kitchen will be managed by DP and his own family will be fitting it (carpenters)
I will start looking for bathroom people.

Think we have decided on carpet fitter.

It's just the dreaded planning now!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now