Talk

Advanced search

Small shaded patio - what surface to use?

(6 Posts)
StillRunningWithScissors Sun 13-Nov-16 09:36:26

Hello,

We're having an extension built soon, and as a result will have a small-ish patio off the kitchen and snug areas (these are two separate rooms, each with their own doors leading out).

It will be a fairly shaded area, so I'm trying to decide what would be best to use as the surface (tiles etc). Looking for something that is not slippery, hopefully resistant to moss, and dirt collect (resulting in weed growth).

Any suggestions?

Thank you

user1471549018 Sun 13-Nov-16 10:16:19

Can you match the flooring you have in the rooms to visually make the small space feel like an extension of the house? Slabs shouldn't be slippy as long as they've got a bit of texture.

StillRunningWithScissors Sun 13-Nov-16 13:23:05

We've got wood flooring inside. DH is very resistant to decking (which would have issues with moss etc in that location anyway).

While slabs wouldn't be slippery in their own, any miss growth will negate that. I think I've read that some natural stones resist the growth of moss, hoping someone has a similar area and recommendation of what works.

shovetheholly Sun 13-Nov-16 14:22:47

I am currently looking at installing a patio on a northfacing side of my house, so following this with interest. I will probably end up using inside/outside porcelain tiles - where you buy the same look of tile, but there is an interior finish and an exterior one, with more grip. I think whatever you choose, you will have to clean off algae and moss. It probably makes sense to get something that isn't light-coloured as a result!!

Alternatively, you can work with it. There are some beautiful Japanese courtyard gardens that make use of moss as a feature, with only a few cleaned stones inbetween.

StillRunningWithScissors Sun 13-Nov-16 20:55:33

Thanks shove I've though got anoint the tiles (have a few samples of wood look tiles that might work).

I love the moss idea, but as its a sunk in area wit retaining wall steps up etc I'm not sure it will work there. Might steal the idea for another (already very mossy) part of the garden. :-)

StillRunningWithScissors Mon 14-Nov-16 11:53:28

Wow, bad auto correct. I thought about the tiles' and with retaining walls, steps up

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now