Can we discuss pillows please??

(25 Posts)
Luckystar1 Fri 11-Nov-16 15:17:41

Has anyone got any pillows they absolutely recommend?? We seem to have a variety of fairly bad quality pillows, as well as 2 feather/down filled John Lewis pillows that are at least 5 years old and impossible to plump.

I've recently slept on some Dunlopillos that were very comfy, and when I googled them there was a whole new world of pillows opened up.

I'd like some recommendations please. I'm a side sleeper, I move a lot at night. I'm currently breastfeeding (does that make a difference?!). Weirdly I get sore ears with the 'wrong' pillow (but I don't know what constitutes that...)

Any help?

Oh wiling to spend about £50 per pillow for decent quality!

MadMadDonna Fri 11-Nov-16 18:56:27

I love the John Lewis down pillows and my mother, who was here recently said she found them super comfortable. They're £20 each.

www.johnlewis.com/john-lewis-classic-duck-feather-and-down-standard-pillow-soft-medium/p231895979

MadMadDonna Fri 11-Nov-16 18:57:44

This is lovely too, I have 2 of them

www.johnlewis.com/john-lewis-superior-siberian-goose-feather-down-square-pillow-medium-firm/p1451228

MyNameIsCleo Fri 11-Nov-16 21:55:44

I also bought John Lewis, then saw Ikea ones, they looked very good. Was a bit regretful of the JL ones!

orangebird69 Fri 11-Nov-16 22:00:56

Box pillows are your friend! I love mine. Not sure of the make but I found mine in TK Maxx. Similar to these. They'll fit standard pillow cases too.

BouleBaker Fri 11-Nov-16 22:20:22

Pillows are so individual though. I have a firm support one on the bottom and a goose feather on top. DH has a medium support with a synthetic fibre on top. MIL provides two of the biggest, plumpest, most expensive pillows going that we both find a bloody nightmare. You need to experiment.

missyB1 Fri 11-Nov-16 22:26:37

Following. I need new pillows, mine must be about 100 years old - well nearly grin

I like a firm pillow on top with a softer one underneath. I've had John Lewis before, not particularly impressed.

mineofuselessinformation Fri 11-Nov-16 22:28:52

Homescape rebound pillows on Amazon. Really good.

IneedAdinosaurNickname Fri 11-Nov-16 22:29:19

I'm always buying new pillows because mine aren't 'right' or just lose their plumpNess. But I'm scared to buy 'expensive' ones (mine are normally £10 max) in case of don't like them either.

DillFunk Fri 11-Nov-16 22:37:11

Has anyone used memory foam pillows? Any good?

Murphysgirl Sat 12-Nov-16 02:43:44

Yes, I have a tempur pillow and love it. It completely cured my neck pain. It does take a bit of getting used to but I now hate going away if I'm not able to take my pillow with me!

GETTINGLIKEMYMOTHER Sat 12-Nov-16 09:34:59

We have down ones - they weren't from JL but I forget where. I really don't like any other kind now.
I wash and tumble dry them every now and then and they come up like a dream.
So much is down to personal preference, though.

Sarb81 Sat 12-Nov-16 10:24:36

Dunlopillows all the way...love ours.

Luckystar1 Sat 12-Nov-16 16:15:46

Oh replies!! Thank you! I'll have a look at the suggestions. How does one experiment?? I know they have demo ones in the shop but ideally I'd need a few night's sleep on them!!

Artandco Sat 12-Nov-16 16:33:05

We have tempur foam one each ( they were £100+ though), and then woolen pillows from baavet

Endmoor1405 Sat 12-Nov-16 20:14:56

I have some memory foam box walled pillows from dunelm. I'm not sure they make them any more but they are the absolute business. I used to also get the sore ear and weird face feeling with the wrong pillow and then I bought these and holy crap I've never been so comfortable!! Mine don't have a taper or any shape to them like most memory foam ones do- They are literally a rather heavy slab of memory foam in a hypoallergenic protector. They fit normal pillow cases too!!

Madbengalmum Sat 12-Nov-16 20:24:51

Brinkhaus are the best, over budget though,but buy any of their duvets or pillows and you will only buy once. They are pricey but an investment for life buy. And you cant kill them by washing either. Fabulous.
Weirdly, they were regularly on desert island discs, as the one luxury item allowed.

PinkSwimGoggles Sat 12-Nov-16 20:28:20

we have ikea memory foam ones. they were about 20£ each

kelper Sat 12-Nov-16 20:34:15

Following this as I must have spent a fortune on pillows over the years and I just can't find any I like :-/
I tried a memory foam one (not tempur) and it gave me incredible head and neck pain.
Currently using some from Amazon which are ok but losing their shape already:-/

Spam88 Sat 12-Nov-16 20:37:50

I have dunlopillos! If you're a side sleeper I'd go for the thicker ones, that's what I have. I don't know whether there's a range, but you just want full latex. I've recently replaced mine after about 12 years and paid a little over £80 for two.

LifeIsGhoulish Sat 12-Nov-16 21:43:20

I'm a wriggly side-sleeper, and I prefer feather pillows so that I can punch them and reshape them. I've never slept on a synthetic pillow that I liked.

My best pillows so far have been box pillows from Costco. They are at least 5yo and still plump up well.

You could try rejuvenating your down pillows by washing them in Down wash (use a laundrette if your machine isn't big enough) and tumble dry with a couple of tennis balls.

cujo Sun 13-Nov-16 05:06:59

Donlopillo serenity deluxe pillows here. I'm a side sleeper, and also get the sore ear thing when I use other pillows. Have used dunlopillos for the past 20 years. Wouldn't buy anything else for my own bed now. Worth the money imo

Luckystar1 Sun 13-Nov-16 06:58:47

Ok great thank you!! It was the serenity deluxe that I slept on... I took a picture of the label (rock n roll...!)

I'll look that the others suggested too! Knew you would all have great suggestions!

shovetheholly Sun 13-Nov-16 14:28:59

I have just swapped £100 down pillows (a gift, I'd never spend that much) for the £10 ones in John Lewis. In my neck's opinion grin the John Lewis ones are better. They come in soft/medium and medium/firm.

www.johnlewis.com/john-lewis-soft-touch-washable-standard-pillow-soft-medium/p451357

daffodilbaby Sun 13-Nov-16 19:21:12

another vote for homescapes - best i've ever had (see reviews on amazon for second opinions!) www.amazon.co.uk/Homescapes-Microfibre-Synthetic-Available-Sufferers/dp/B004WJGF86/ref=pd_sim_201_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=V8JEM6QBFTQCWRKFVDJA

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now