Talk

Advanced search

If you live in a flat - what is your front door like?

(24 Posts)
MyNameIsCleo Fri 11-Nov-16 11:18:56

I'm looking to replace my front door, the inside one in the hall into my flat. It's currently very plain and a bit dull, but I'm worried that putting a normal front door like the one onto the street might look strange?

Any advice? What is yours like?

lalalonglegs Fri 11-Nov-16 11:57:39

Imo it would look strange - we had a conversion flat where the door into our flat was a fire-proofed Victorian door (the building was Victorian) so sat well. However, before you do anything, unless you own all or part of the freehold, you may not be able to change the door at all.

MyNameIsCleo Fri 11-Nov-16 12:03:25

Thank you for the reply, I'm the freeholder so no worries on that score.

Mine is also a conversion, you say a Victorian fire door, was it like a usual Victorian style front door like you would see onto the street? But in the hall?

Thanks again.

lalalonglegs Fri 11-Nov-16 12:08:37

No, it was like a Victorian panelled internal door (but not a crappy one that you buy at Wickes). So, apart from the fact that it had locks on it, it looked like a normal door into a room within a Victorian house.

MyNameIsCleo Fri 11-Nov-16 12:14:36

Ah I see! I think you are right about an outside one inside IYSWIM. Thank you - v helpful.

PigletJohn Fri 11-Nov-16 12:55:14

it will need to be a fire-resistant door. They are available in flat and various panelled designs

MyNameIsCleo Fri 11-Nov-16 13:27:12

Ah didn't realise about it needed to be fire resistant, will factor that in. Is a that a building regs thing or a common sense thing?

PigletJohn Fri 11-Nov-16 14:09:25

BRs

PigletJohn Fri 11-Nov-16 15:10:51

It will also be thicker and heavier than an ordinary door, so will muffle sound better, and I would have thought resist burglary, though I don't know how the strength compares.

schrutefarmbeets Fri 11-Nov-16 15:15:22

I'm in Glasgow and I have two doors to my flat - one of which is a really classy cool stain-glassed heavy front door. It makes me feel fancy and makes my flat feel more like a "home".

I say go for it!!

MyNameIsCleo Fri 11-Nov-16 15:41:45

Thank Piglet, useful.

Sounds awesome schrute!

PigletJohn Fri 11-Nov-16 15:46:17

I've known people in flats have two doors, with a small lobby between them. It cuts down noise even more.

kirinm Fri 11-Nov-16 22:22:27

We put an external door on out flat. 4 panels. It looks great and makes the scruffy communal hall look better. We live in a grand Victorian building that deserves to look grand!

MyNameIsCleo Fri 11-Nov-16 23:38:15

I think that's the sort of thing I should go for kirin.

kirinm Fri 11-Nov-16 23:59:30

Here's ours - before and after

venusinscorpio Sat 12-Nov-16 00:06:25

I have my flat entrance door on the first floor of a house, which is just a standard fire door with a lock, and then there is a flight of stairs, and then a door into the hallway of my living space on the second floor. It's a great layout and I feel at home when I go through the first door and hang my coat on the banister etc. I'm putting a Christmas wreath on the flat entrance door this year - I think it's good to make it seem like a proper front door.

MyNameIsCleo Sat 12-Nov-16 01:19:46

Thanks kirinm, exactly the swap we would be doing, it looks great!

Venus that sounds lovely, know what you mean about the at home feeling.

This thread has really helped smile

kirinm Sat 12-Nov-16 10:07:51

We got it from a website called 'distinctive doors'.

MrsFilthPacket Sat 12-Nov-16 11:33:24

Ours is the same as kirinm's door. I think it looks good. The last block of flats that we lived in had "external type" doors too.

lalalonglegs Sat 12-Nov-16 11:40:02

To me, kirinm's door looks like an internal Victorian door albeit one painted black confused. It's very nice though.

PigletJohn Sat 12-Nov-16 11:47:10

you can get fire doors made to that style, I have them. 4 or 6 panels, and others. The paint grade doors cost less than the veneered ones for varnishing.

SillySongsWithLarry Sat 12-Nov-16 12:55:44

My front flat door looks like Kirinm's before pic. Really nothing to write home about. I will put 'new inside front door' on the very long to do list.

kirinm Sat 12-Nov-16 12:55:57

Lala - it's an external fire resistant front door painted grey (by us). It weighs about 45kg.

kirinm Sat 12-Nov-16 15:57:28

I should say that we were pretty worried about security so we wanted something heavy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now