Talk

Advanced search

Anyone got a hob below a velux window or roof lantern?

(8 Posts)
MichaelD Wed 09-Nov-16 23:15:14

We are trying to work out the best options for extraction in our new kitchen. Unfortunately we will have a large glass roof lantern just in the area we would like to locate our hob!

Our two options are to leave as is, and use a downdraft extractor to hopefully get as much of the water vapour, smells and grease, or alternatively shift the roof lantern further away from the house (towards the garden) and then put in a ceiling mounted extractor right next to the side of the roof lantern.

I am unsure of what to do, as I fear moving the roof lantern away from the centre of the room is going to reduce the amount of light which comes into the darker part of the room. However maybe this is an ether compromise than potentially greasy horrible glass roof lantern panels which are difficult to reach/clean?

Any advice welcomed!

PigletJohn Thu 10-Nov-16 11:00:02

an extracting hood directly over the hob is the beat way to capture the smell, grease and steam. Otherwise you will be trying to extract it after it has circulated round the room, which is much less effective.

You can get wall-hung sloping extractors if appearance is more important to you than function.

MichaelD Thu 10-Nov-16 11:34:41

The problem is, this is a hob on an island - not against a wall. The room is also big at 8m x 7m!

maryso Thu 10-Nov-16 11:54:35

Have you looked at a down-draft cooker hood that will retract down when not in use? They also have lights so you can cook without changing the light in the room.

PigletJohn Thu 10-Nov-16 11:55:59

you could have one dangling from the ceiling, though it will be difficult if you choose to put the hob in the worst possible place.

petitdonkey Thu 10-Nov-16 11:57:35

We have a hob on an island and no extractor fan. There is a fan in the ceiling but I honestly can't tell you the last time I turned it on. YOu can het pop up extractors that sit behind the hob but we decided against that. I have never had a problem with grease - when you think about it, most of what you do on the hob is not smelly or greasy.

petitdonkey Thu 10-Nov-16 11:58:56

If you google 'pop up extractor' you will see loads of versions.

MichaelD Thu 10-Nov-16 13:01:27

Thanks - yes downdraft extractors are being considered, but from what I hear they're not that effective and would result in a lot of steam & smoke going up into the ceiling space, and into the roof lantern next to it.

My concern mainly relates to the greasy steam which will hit the cold glass in the ceiling!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now