Talk

Advanced search

Gutter cleaning - very exciting thread!

(9 Posts)
JohnnyDeppsfuturewife Wed 09-Nov-16 11:28:34

Hi

I live in one of those 'naice' areas where so many people are getting home improvements that getting traders to even visit your house to quote is impossible never mind them actually turning up to do the work.

With that in mind I have tried to arrange a couple of of companies to quote to clean my gutters and not even got anyone to return a phonecall. My window cleaners won't do it because one gutter is three floors high.

So today I got a knock on the door from a passing trader and a quote to do it for the incredibly cheap price of £45. I have friends in similar sized houses (but only two floors) who have paid a couple of hundred pounds. I was under the impression I needed someone with scaffolding and would be prepared to pay a couple of hundred because we've never had it done in the ten years we've been in the house and it does need doing.

I took his card and said I would think about it. He had a high camera and said he would be able to hoover up the leaves, from the ground, while looking with the camera and said often people on ladders might damage the gutters.

Normally I would NEVER give work to a cold caller but he sounded plausible. His card also says his work is 'fully insured' (but even a scammer would say that wouldn't they?)

Has anyone else had this done? Would I be making a mistake getting him to do it? Is it just a scam?

Thank you.

Ps need to pop out to do some shopping so might not reply for a while but I will be back.

wooooofudge Wed 09-Nov-16 12:24:44

There is a gutter cleaning 'system' which uses equipment that sucks the muck out. Where are you? We could do with your bloke to clear ours!

FrickOnAStick Wed 09-Nov-16 12:36:41

My window cleaner* does mine (he has the sucky system). We live in a tall house which means we can't access the gutters ourselves. They are done twice a year because we have tall trees and they blow all manner of crap into the gutter (protected so can't do anything about them beyond general maintenance). It costs about £50 a time and he takes bin bags full of crap away blush.

*he is a commercial window cleaner too so has the equipment & insurance for up high.

JohnnyDeppsfuturewife Wed 09-Nov-16 14:33:51

Thanks for replying.

I guess these guys have a 'sucky system'. I assumed people used brushes and got on scaffolding for the high bits - like when we have the outside painted.

In Kent wooooofudge <waves if you're a neighbour>

I think I was just cynical about someone knocking on the door offering a cheap service. I'll see if I get any more replies on this thread and call the guy back tomorrow.

I didn't think to ask about whether they'll take the rubbish away. We also have lots of tall trees around so it could be tonnes of crap. To be honest I'd be happy to take it to the dump to know the gutters were clean.

wooooofudge Wed 09-Nov-16 15:09:41

Derbyshire futurewife so a bit far away!

They'll probably show you what they've removed. Ime getting rubbish removed is almost as expensive as the work much of the time.

Palomb Wed 09-Nov-16 15:15:35

I think it's called a sky vac or something. Why don't you ask to see his insurance certificates and take it from there? It does sound like a bit of a bargain!

I watched a documentary once that said all our
gutters were full of micro meteorites that could be collected with a very strong magnet.. I've always fancied having a go at finding those! Might be complete bullshit but sounds exciting!

wooooofudge Wed 09-Nov-16 15:25:42

That's one way to make gutter cleaning seem more interesting!

thenewaveragebear1983 Wed 09-Nov-16 15:43:44

That sounds about right, even a good deal. We paid £55 to do our a few weeks ago, no 'sucky system' just good old fashioned handfuls of muck and a ladder. Considering they aren't coming into your house, I can't imagine there's anything wrong with taking someone on who'd cold called- they don't need to be particularly reputable or trustworthy to do that job really do they? I say go for it.

TheCrowFromBelow Wed 09-Nov-16 16:14:37

My gutters have vegetation growing in them blush
I had a quote for £250!
Yours sound like a bargain

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now