Talk

Advanced search

Old Westco Thermostatic Radiator Valve

(8 Posts)
Kleptronic Tue 08-Nov-16 18:15:03

Anyone know how to get this off? I've been trying for 2 hours now and no joy. It's a Westco. It is old. Google did not help me. It doesn't have a locking ring and won't pull off. I have mole grips, it really won't. It has a little switch that presses up and down and I've tried both ways. I want to see if the pin's stuck down.

Radiator and pipes leading to it are stone cold, system was powerflushed in the summer.

PigletJohn Tue 08-Nov-16 20:04:02

it's the knurled ring. It almost certainly unscrews upwards. You should press the thermostatic head down and prevent it from turning. Set it to the highest number before starting to remove or replace it.

PigletJohn Tue 08-Nov-16 20:06:27

p.s.

I'm sure I've had rings or nuts that unscrewed downwards, but I can't find one to confirm that.

contact www.heatingcontrolsonline.co.uk/radiator-valves-c-28.html/replacement-trv-heads-c-28_51.html if necessary

Kleptronic Tue 08-Nov-16 20:29:17

Thanks PigletJohn I'll try it now. I was praying you'd come along!

PigletJohn Tue 08-Nov-16 21:32:26

p.s.

the things in your pic with yellow handles are not mole grips but long-nose pliers.

Moles are easily able to crush things so must be used with great care.

Adjustable wrench or water-pump pliers would be more appropriate. Cheap wrenches are quite cheap, in sets of three, and sometimes sold in supermarkets. Feel how wobbly the lower jaw is before you buy and compare to a good one.

Kleptronic Tue 08-Nov-16 22:51:28

Oo no that's my trusty Stanley multitool, he just came along for the ride. Here's what I used but I don't know it's real name (and I had to oil it before it was operational, the screw was stuck). Also I failed in my mission. Damn.

PigletJohn Wed 09-Nov-16 05:24:17

Yes, that's a mole.

Kleptronic Tue 22-Nov-16 20:18:51

Well I couldn't get the bastard thing off, I paid the £60 excess for British Gas to come and hit it with a hammer (yes really) and the bloody bastarding pin was stuck down. As I thought it was. Gah.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now