Is this actually legally 'wrong' or just morally arseholeish?

(156 Posts)
AndShesGone Tue 08-Nov-16 12:07:36

I'm trying to buy a property. The surveyor has said it's not suitable for a mortgage (for no reason and the mortgage company are appealing).

I've just found out (through ninja means and a lot of bloody luck) that he's wanting to buy it !

Do I let the chief partner surveyor know at the company? My mortgage provider?

He's a young bloke and a right fucking wide boy.

DefinitelyNotRuth Tue 08-Nov-16 12:09:53

I don't know the answer but didn't want to read and run. That sounds proper dodgy though and bound to be against some sort of professional standards. Tell his boss and your mortgage company. He deserves to be disciplined!

BumbleNova Tue 08-Nov-16 12:11:15

thats a huge conflict of interest! cheeky bastard. demand someone else does the survey, he clearly cant be impartial.

akkakk Tue 08-Nov-16 12:11:36

May well be in breach of his professional membership - talk to RICS

RosieThorn Tue 08-Nov-16 12:12:42

I'm not sure of the actual legalities either but I'd imagine it goes against RICS ethics/code of conduct. Have you concrete proof? If so I would pass it to the mortgage company and make a complaint to whatever professional body he's registered with. Nothing wrong with him being interested in the property but he shouldn't be underhand and unprofessional about it!

BeccaAnn Tue 08-Nov-16 12:12:48

formal complaint to the company CEO. that's bang out of order, should be gross misconduct.

AndShesGone Tue 08-Nov-16 12:14:00

I have concrete proof (that's the ninja part) as I taped him outside in his car on the phone to his mortgage broker.

Mozfan1 Tue 08-Nov-16 12:16:07

How did you do that ? confused

KateLivesInEngland Tue 08-Nov-16 12:20:03

I have no advice, but what an arsehole! I'm sure there's a major disciplinary or sacking in there somewhere!

AndShesGone Tue 08-Nov-16 12:21:57

Like a stakeout grin

The agent called me and said someone else was interested. After no one had been interested for months and one hour after the 'not suitable for mortgage report' was issued. I casually asked if I could go round again after him. She made me an appt and I was there an hour before to see him go in ( I knew it was him because of all the paperwork in his car on the passenger seat).

He was only in there 10 minutes and went to his car after and made the call. I just walked my dog up and down outside behind the cars and he had his window open, a bloody loud voice.

It was a hunch, that paid off.

AndShesGone Tue 08-Nov-16 12:23:15

And the luck part was that the agent parked round the corner as she couldn't get into the street. So she went back to her car between the viewings. No, I didn't tell her.

GinAndTunic Tue 08-Nov-16 12:24:34

I would flag this up with the head of the company and ask for someone else to do the survey. Also, if you haven't already done so, let the estate agent know.

PikachuSayBoo Tue 08-Nov-16 12:25:02

Probably not a criminal offence but I would have thought bad enough to get him in serious trouble.

ByeByeLilSebastian Tue 08-Nov-16 12:25:24

Are you allowed to record someone without their knowledge though?

PikachuSayBoo Tue 08-Nov-16 12:26:35

You can in a public place.

And I think you can in a private place but it can't be used against them or something.

AnchorDownDeepBreath Tue 08-Nov-16 12:27:55

If I've understood correctly, he was inside his car with the window open talking loudly at a public place - so no reasonable expectation of privacy.

AndShesGone Tue 08-Nov-16 12:30:29

Yes you can record people in a public place. We're recorded all the time. I'm glad I did as he might deny it.

OliviaBenson Tue 08-Nov-16 12:31:21

Wow! I'd ring RICS and take your advice from them but that is a huge conflict of interest. You absolutely must take this further .

AndShesGone Tue 08-Nov-16 12:31:30

I've placed a call to the senior partner who's at lunch at the moment.

FetchezLaVache Tue 08-Nov-16 12:34:16

Bloody hell And - I have quite the crush on you for that! You ninja.

Have his balls on toast. Dodgy as fuck. I would imagine the estate agent would be very interested in this, as it will obviously push the price of the property down. He'll be trying to get it for fuck all.

Gracey79 Tue 08-Nov-16 12:35:54

Why is it allegedly none mortgageable out of interest?

AndShesGone Tue 08-Nov-16 12:38:37

That's it, there aren't any 'grounds'. The person from the lender phoned up and said they'd read the report and there weren't any grounds. That's why the lender (a bank) are appealing to the surveying company. He wrote some waffle about an A road.

Artistic Tue 08-Nov-16 12:41:54

Hope you get the house. Sound like a real find if the surveyor (who probably sees a few hundreds) wants it for himself. I'd be even more determined to get it now if I were you.

stopfuckingshoutingatme Tue 08-Nov-16 12:42:53

complain to every single fucking entity known to man OP

his firm
the professional standards authority

and write to the CEO, state the issue and ask for another survey

go Ninja, GO!

wooooofudge Tue 08-Nov-16 12:43:26

Wow - I'd say that's a pretty career limiting move on his part. I wonder if he used his company mobile to call his mortgage provider......

If you can OP, go and see his boss in person.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now