Remortgage valuation - what to expect?

(5 Posts)
Imawishfulthinker Tue 08-Nov-16 10:53:22

I have applied for a mortage with another lender as my fixed term with my current lender is coming to an end.

I have never done this before so no idea what to do/expect on the day really.

The lender has contacted me so the surveyor can gain access to the property but what do I need to do before they arrive? Do I need to go into the same amount of detail as I would if I were selling it i.e stage certain rooms, move everything off worktops etc?

I have a 3 bed house but only one bedroom has an actual bed in there - one I have turned into an office and the other is a store room - do I need to put a bed in there?

Will obviously tidy the place aswell but just want to make sure I can do everything I can to make sure it comes back with the highest valuation possible.

Any tips/ideas/what to expect?

Thanks

namechangedtoday15 Tue 08-Nov-16 11:15:06

Its a basic lender valuation - they won't be interested in your counter tops or whether the rooms are staged as bedrooms. They're looking at square footage, condition - basically whether the house is adequate security for the advance you're applied for. The last time we did it, the valuer was there for 20 minutes and hardly spoke!

OdinsLoveChild Tue 08-Nov-16 12:14:58

My last mortgage valuer stayed about 10 minutes. Counted the bedrooms, popped his head in the loft, looked at the boiler (didn't actually do anything with it) and flicked a few switches. He really wasn't that interested in any fine detail stuff just making sure I hadn't lied about it having 15 bedrooms, 9 bathrooms and worth £20,000,000 wink

MinniesAndMickeysNeedCounting Tue 08-Nov-16 12:25:46

Same as above posters

We've recently had ours done, they just need to check it's suitable security for your lenders.

Imawishfulthinker Tue 08-Nov-16 15:56:18

oh great thanks all, will just give it a quick tidy and clean then the day before

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now