Talk

Advanced search

Who replaces the fence panel? Us or neighbour?

(9 Posts)
StMary Mon 07-Nov-16 21:08:25

We are on friendly terms with our neighbour though he's a bit of a old school wheeler dealer so I don't think he can be completely trusted!! A fence panel between our property and his needs replacing. He thinks it's for us to pay and said to check our deeds.

We've had a look at (what we think are) our deeds and there's a map with a thick line round it which doesn't really show exactly where the boundaries are. We are end of semi-detached so it's not like there's acres around us or anything! And further googling indicates it can be a tricky thing to determine and that Land Registry won't be able to assist.

How do we figure this out?! It's the neighbour we are not attached to if that makes any difference at all.

thenewaveragebear1983 Mon 07-Nov-16 21:10:05

There should be little v shaped marks on the registry plan which show ownership I think. If not, why not offer to share the cost?

FlopIsMyParentingGuru Mon 07-Nov-16 21:10:11

Well you could spent time and effort arguing over it or you could suggest going halves and get the money up front from him? It all depends of what the argument is worth to you i'd imagine?

PigletJohn Mon 07-Nov-16 21:12:12

is there any evidence that he maintains the one on his other side?

MilkTwoSugarsThanks Mon 07-Nov-16 21:12:47

Isn't something weird on a residential street along the lines of "stand on your street, face your house, you are responsible for what's on the left" or something like that.

StMary Mon 07-Nov-16 21:16:18

Is our registry plan the map of our road with the red line?? If so, no "v" and the red line is within the black outline of the adjacent properties.

We're not arguing with him and tbh I'm inclined to just pay for it - he's offered to do the work for us, so we'd be paying him in effect plus the cost of the panel.

However, if it's not for us to pay, or we find we've got to pay the other side at some point too, I don't want to set a precedent. Good idea checking on the property the other side to him. Will ask our neighbours too!

thenewaveragebear1983 Mon 07-Nov-16 21:19:07

Have you started 2 threads on this op? The other one has some answers too!
It's not a v it's a T on the seeds of that helps.....
We don't own either of our fences. Our not joined neighbour soley owns his, and we share with our adjoining neighbour so it doesn't necessarily help to ask unfortunately

thenewaveragebear1983 Mon 07-Nov-16 21:19:45

Deeds if not seeds of !!!

StMary Mon 07-Nov-16 22:30:09

Yes weirdly there are two threads confused

We'll have a chat with the neighbours anyway but no biggie really if we have to pay. Though we'all soon be renting the house out so good to get this kind of thing bottomed out before we leave!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now