Advanced search

Landlord Question - Insurance

(9 Posts)
AnythingConsidered Sun 06-Nov-16 11:21:17

Hi all,

Asking for a friend. For those of you who have a 2nd property- what insurance to do you?

Friend has a flat, which she rents out on a unfurnished basis. She pays building insurance through the Managing Agent but is asking if she needs content insurance in the basis it is let on an unfurnished basis. What do you do?

Her specific example is if there was a damage done to a wall (eg a shower leaks and damages the wall, floor/ceiling etc) would this be claimed on buildings or contents insurance?

Appreciate your help MN.

user1471549018 Sun 06-Nov-16 11:33:04

as far as I'm aware walls and floors are buildings, carpets and kitchens/bathrooms are contents.

Sunnyshores Mon 07-Nov-16 17:05:22

Most landlord policies buildings policies Ive ever had include a minimum £3k of contents.

Sorry, just seen that its a flat, so all she has is the building insurance that the managing agent provides. First, I would check that policy is sufficient. And then, yes Id take out contents policies (with accidental damage) for approx £5k to cover carpets and any integral kitchen electricals or showers. Costs under £50 and is essential imo.

Sunnyshores Mon 07-Nov-16 17:06:57

also recomend she looks at rent insurance and home call out or boiler cover.

Fennwalker Mon 07-Nov-16 17:06:58

As far as I know, if you are a landlord you need specific landlords insurance - it is different - google it. Furnished / unfurnished doesnt matter.

CountTonyGunkula Mon 07-Nov-16 17:20:00

She needs landlord's buildings cover. This will cover fitted kitchens and bathrooms (they are not classed as contents if they are fixed to the building. Integrated white goods are also part of the bolding). The tenant should then take out their own contents insurance policy for their belongings and many insurers will cover landlord's carpets under this as long as your friend writes it into the tenancy agreement that the tenant is responsible for covering them. She should ask to see a copy of the insurance policy showing this.

CountTonyGunkula Mon 07-Nov-16 17:20:47


specialsubject Mon 07-Nov-16 21:03:12

She needs landlord contents, malicious damage cover and legal expenses cover that pays out even if tenant not in arrears. And rent guarantee cover if they are.

All cover must of course be landlord specific. Normal insurance won't do.

AnythingConsidered Mon 07-Nov-16 22:54:49

Thank you everybody. Really appreciate the help.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now