Interior design advice (general)

(13 Posts)
SarfEast1cated Fri 04-Nov-16 21:31:00

firstly, we are actually nearly ready for completion on our new house (yes it has only taken me about 4 years to get this far!) thanks to any of you who have kept up with the (dull dull dull) saga.
Am now looking for some advice, thinking about window coverings - are plain cream curtains v old fashioned now? What should I be going for? I don't really like plantation shutters, or wooden blinds, but could go a roller blind with some lighter weight curtains? Any recommendations?
I have signed up for some decent blogs (mad about the house), and may buy a few issues of Elle Deco, but where should I seek advice? Would obviously have a Skandium/Heals/Liberty collection if I had loads of money (and a massive house), but sadly have a John Lewis 'Home' budget and a 1930's modest semi grin. I find Pinterest a bit too unfocused... Take pity on a poor girl....

namechangedtoday15 Fri 04-Nov-16 23:33:26

I think roman blinds give a lovely finish.

Piscivorus Fri 04-Nov-16 23:44:35

Have you looked at Houzz, good for inspiration

user1471549018 Sat 05-Nov-16 11:54:15

what kind of style are you going for? houzz and pinterest both great for free inspiration

SarfEast1cated Sat 05-Nov-16 20:35:16

It's tricky to know what to do with a 1930's semi, as most interior blogs/sites focus on Victorian/Edwardian houses, but something minimalist ish I guess, maybe a bit Skandi too...

dontcallmelen Sat 05-Nov-16 20:36:25

Houzz & you can get some reasonably priced home interior magazines i.e. Ideal home/your home etc which can be useful.
Would also second roman blinds, they usually look good on any type of window.

specialsubject Sat 05-Nov-16 21:04:53

Assuming you get some curtains with it, decide after moving in . ours came with silly thin floral curtains, no use at all on east and south facing windows. First purchase was linings!

SarfEast1cated Sat 05-Nov-16 21:19:50

Vendor is taking everything with her so no curtains/blinds etc, and house has a lamppost outside, so we'll need something as it will be middle of winter. I may be allowed to go and measure up soon, so thought some plain curtains would be ok for the time being. House has square bay windows, so not sure how you get a pole to go around corners!

GinAndOnIt Sat 05-Nov-16 21:28:58

I am in a 30s semi too! What styles do you like? And are you in a city or the country?

GinAndOnIt Sat 05-Nov-16 21:29:18

Sorry, just saw Skandi!

strongandlong Sat 05-Nov-16 21:33:02

I used www.curtainpoles.co.uk for our difficult bay windows and they are fantastic. Much better than the ones we bought from JL for our last house, and much cheaper.

marlboroughdesign Tue 29-Nov-16 13:20:38

Good Morning!

For bay windows, people often dismiss a beautiful roman blind, that way you still get the wonderful cosiness of fabric on the windows, without the huge expense of a bespoke bay pole.
However, if you preference is curtains, you can get some quite cheap poles on the internet now for bay windows. A beautiful triple pinch pleat heading can set the pole off nicely and add warmth, colour and pattern to a room.

The benefit of curtains is that you can have sheer roller blinds behind them (fixed to the window frame) to allow privacy during the day.

Hope this is helpful, best of luck in your endeavours!

thenewaveragebear1983 Tue 29-Nov-16 21:49:04

We bought a bay pole from b&q, it did our bay (also a 1930's house), although we have 5 Windows in our bays not 3 so needed a bit of tinkering with. I think they were £45 so not too expensive and look lovely

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now