Advanced search

How to go about adding an ensuite?

(12 Posts)
Goldnick Fri 04-Nov-16 14:53:15

Hello. We have very large bedrooms, and would like to make one of them smaller to create an en-suite in the other room, and walk-in wardrobes for both rooms.

We've always done things like this ourselves, in the past, like converting a bedroom to a bathroom, and did that by applying to building control and getting the work checked after we did it (some contracting out involved). However, this time, we'd like to "get someone to do it". Where do we start? Do we need to apply to building control, or if we get a builder to do the job, will they handle that/not need to at all? Or do we need to speak to an architect/structural engineer first to draw up plans?

I will post this then add a drawing from my phone... (you always like a drawing). Details of en-suite and wardrobes still to be worked out obviously, but we wouldn't want/need window (neighbour would object anyway) but would be able to add ventilation fine, plus shower, toilet, basin. Plumbing needs are not my consideration at the moment but I know might not work like my picture. Door positions not finalised either. The reduced room would still be double sized (they are about 5m by 5m now).

I just want to know where to start with this! We could just build the stud wall ourselves (done before) and get builder to cut the door holes and add appropriate support in the existing (supporting) wall. But if we get someone to do it all will they deal with the building regs stuff?

Goldnick Fri 04-Nov-16 14:55:38

Posh diagram.

PigletJohn Fri 04-Nov-16 15:57:55

you start by finding out where the soil pipe is in your house. Usually on the outside wall of the bathroom of an older house, or boxed into a corner of the bathroom of a modern one. If it is not conveniently close to your hoped-for ensuite, you then look at the route of the drains and any man-hole covers outside.

You and your plumber then decide how you will connect the soil pipe from the WC, and the waste-pipe from basin and shower to it.

If it cannot be done within your budget, invest in a bucket, and a spade to dig a hole in the garden. If you are planning to sell the house to someone you hate, you can get a macerator.

Goldnick Fri 04-Nov-16 16:12:20

Thanks for replying, PigletJohn. I'm aware of the soil-pipe/macerator considerations, that's not what I was asking about, sorry if I wasn't clear. It's whether builder will plan it and arrange building control. We haven't used contractors much as dh is so talented at this stuff, but time is an issue at the present time (lots else to be done in house).

House was a butchers for 80 years... drains everywhere including a large one in the kitchen floor. Cold water circulated round the whole house before reaching kitchen sink until dh rerouted it when re-doing the CH and installing water softener. Oh yes, 130 year old house. Lots of 'history'.smile

Goldnick Fri 04-Nov-16 16:13:36

Should say, plumbing is one of dh's key skills - can't bring himself to pay for one as they never reach his standards of pipe-bending hmm.

PigletJohn Fri 04-Nov-16 17:17:30

As long as you can route the pipes, you can draw it yourself to suit your own tastes and convenience. I still think you need to start with the pipes, and the extractor duct though, or you may draw things that can't be achieved.

A builder's drawing may not be to your taste.

Goldnick Fri 04-Nov-16 19:00:12

Ok, still not making myself clear. Will a builder deal with building control, or do we need to do it?

Goldnick Fri 04-Nov-16 19:00:46

It's not about drawing or planning.

user1471549018 Fri 04-Nov-16 19:39:19

I have always called building regs to advise them work is due to start. I wouldn't expect a builder to necessarily know everything needed to get building regs approval- I have always had plans drawn up that include correct ventilation, insulation etc. They will normally do a couple of inspections, and it helps to have your builder there to discuss things directly. HTH

user1471549018 Fri 04-Nov-16 19:44:06

Sorry your question was about a supporting lintel? When we had an RSJ put in they came out that day to check it (along with the calculations i think). After my initial call to notify them they always deal with the builders directly.

SunnySideDownUp Fri 04-Nov-16 19:55:20

We had an en suite fitted a few years back. We paid extra to have a company manage everything, including building control etc. We had to make clear from the start that it was their responsibility.

Goldnick Sat 05-Nov-16 20:16:15

Thanks folks, very helpful.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now