Would a sisal stair carpet be a terrible mistake?

(26 Posts)
PuraVida Thu 03-Nov-16 22:41:24

I'm worried about it being slippy. Our stairs twist and turn so aren't the safest anyway

How do they wear?

it's the only one I've seen which I like but they seem to be deemed impractical

JoJoSM2 Thu 03-Nov-16 23:07:06

We've got one in the snug and we're pretty paranoid about it... I prolly would risk it unless you're In a position to change it every couple of years.

iklboo Thu 03-Nov-16 23:10:38

Genuine question - where is your snug and whereabouts do you live ? Round here - in Manchester - it's an old, old fashioned word for the 'posh' part of the pub where ladies could go (the 'vault' was for men only).

iklboo Thu 03-Nov-16 23:11:30

Sorry, meant to add it sounds like a lovely, cosy room with a proper fire & comfy chairs.

ScrubbedPine Thu 03-Nov-16 23:15:10

We considered it when we were putting sisal in our hall and were advised against it as too slippery by the adviser/measurer , especially as we have a young child - though I think this was at least in part down to the type of 'weave' we'd chosen.

Slippersandacuppa Thu 03-Nov-16 23:17:28

This is ours - it's not slippery at all (we have bendy bits too), is very hard wearing and looks good but stains really easily. We don't notice it so much on the stairs but we have it in our living room too and it shows every spillage (including water) and is bleached by the sun.

PuraVida Thu 03-Nov-16 23:42:38

The one I've seen is dark blue but we are a messy household with grubby small children and pets.

I don't anticipate replacing it in my lifetime regularly

Bit of not this sisal one then what? I'm totally uninspired by carpet. Don't want beige or grey. Don't want too dark. Can't have light. Not enamoured with any of the 47426 striped ones

We don't have any other carpet and I just don't see anything I much like

Quodlibet Thu 03-Nov-16 23:48:29

OP I feel your carpet pain. I am having exactly the same problem. Also recommended not to have loop pile if you have a cat (we do) as they will just rip it up.

I am looking at very short pile (Westex do some nice ones) and maybe a sandy colour. Most carpet shades might as well be called 'bleughhhh' in my opinion.

PuraVida Thu 03-Nov-16 23:51:40

These are the ones I like

I can't find a carpet that looks the same but isn't sisal

I might just get it and make everyone bump down on their bums. And get rid of the pets.

llangennith Thu 03-Nov-16 23:52:37

Hate sisal.

PuraVida Thu 03-Nov-16 23:54:14

slippers (lol) yours is lovely. I'd into from (by?) Mellau?

That's the make of the one I like

We're your stair rods new? And if so do the carpet people sort them out or do you buy them separately?

lottiegarbanzo Thu 03-Nov-16 23:55:08

Don't do it. It is slippy and stains easily, in a bleached-looking way, with water, tea, any liquid at all. Thus hard to clean too.

I had them in halls, stairs and living room. Bad idea. I didn't slip but other people did. Was warned it wasn't advised for stairs. Vaguely forgot. Many years later, advertised house to let, showed round a pregnant woman and had an 'oh fuck' moment. Changed carpets for a hard-wearing but nice-looking synthetic-wool-style blend. Looks nicer, comfier to walk on, much easier to clean.

I'd go for something warm-toned but dark enough to hide dirt in the mushroom / bark / mocha sort of range.

PuraVida Thu 03-Nov-16 23:55:35

Why Llangennith? (love it there, I grew up nearby)

lottiegarbanzo Thu 03-Nov-16 23:59:43

Mine looked more like your picture than the stairs picture.

We stayed in a holiday house with this stuff downstairs recently. It created an uncomfortable sense of jeopardy re spillage. Already obviously stained in a house decorated a year or two ago. I bet they regretted it.

TheSnorkMaidenReturns Fri 04-Nov-16 00:02:57

Don't do it. We bought a house with sisal stair carpets, loving the natural look.
It was very slippy as it aged. As soon as the children started moving downstairs on foot we swapped for carpet. One of your disliked stripes stair carpets ...

PuraVida Fri 04-Nov-16 00:20:55

Didn't the pattern hide the stains lottie? [hopeful]

I don't dislike stripes. It's just they're ubiquitous which isn't a totally bad thing but although lots are very nice our stairs are tall and narrow, very narrow and go up 3 floors. I don't think stripes are the thing. But I don't like plain. Not flecked. Nor floral. Nor geometric. I've been in three carpet shops and am just bewildered

lottiegarbanzo Fri 04-Nov-16 00:25:48

No, water really does bleach it, so you get pale puddle shapes.

I think the ubiquitous stripes are very 2010s and will become dated fast. I'd go plain, bit flecked. Get lots of samples and throw them onto your stairs to see texture, colour in different light etc.

LegArmpits Fri 04-Nov-16 00:45:03

We've got a mix of sisal, seagrass, coconut stuff on our stairs. (I actually bought two long runners and it worked out a fraction of the cost) and its wearing really well. Better than I thought. It's a mix of neutrals and grey/blue fleck and it hides dirt like no-ones business. We used the original underlay (from the awful stair carpet) which I think has helped.
Has had tea and other various stuff spilt on it and it's fine.
(Note - it is not especially pleasant on bare feet, but how long do you spend on the stairs in bare feet? Not long.)

LegArmpits Fri 04-Nov-16 00:47:09

Thus.

LegArmpits Fri 04-Nov-16 00:50:24

Oh god yes, looking at the previous replies, a cat would totally wreck it. Youngish children fine, small dog fine, a cat - no.

Motherfuckers Fri 04-Nov-16 01:21:48

Always looks really grubby and is very very 90s.

JoJoSM2 Fri 04-Nov-16 07:55:36

If you're uninspired by carpets, perhaps you could either stain or paint the stairs? Or might you like a carpet with taping as per picture - it is quite a funky look.

Iklboo, the room we call a snug is a relatively small room on the ground floor that we use for watching TV mostly (we don't have a tv in any of the main living areas). We live in London but I'm foreign and not sure when I picked up the word.

PuraVida Fri 04-Nov-16 08:15:34

Thanks for your help. I knew deep down it wasn't a good idea

I love stairs with the sides showing, regrettably some div made ours out of mdf and they're not attractive enough to be exposed

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Fri 04-Nov-16 08:22:18

My cat would LOVE sisal stairsgrin

Slippersandacuppa Sat 05-Nov-16 21:08:20

Pura

Can't remember the make but I'll have a look (wasn't paying that much attention, just went for what we liked within budget).

Honestly, they're great on the stairs. Toddler hasn't slipped on them and we have some really steep stairs too. Cat isn't remotely interested and he's a scratcher. The company we got them from did the bars. I wouldn't hesitate in getting them done in the same again but I wouldn't do rooms in it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now