Talk

Advanced search

My first rental - help please

(11 Posts)
user1470134523 Wed 02-Nov-16 13:38:16

I've converted my house (properly) to a couple of flats as I'm moving (one 1 bed flat with a lounge/kitchen and one 2 bed flat with a lounge/kitchen).

As i've never rented any place out before, I wanted some help:

What colour scheme and paints should I use? I know magnolia and white are very common but does anyone have any other recommendations?

Blinds or net curtain and ordinary curtains?

Furnished or unfurnished?

Floor - Luxury vinyl planks? Laminate? Carpet?

Any tips appreciated!

gininteacupsandleavesonthelawn Wed 02-Nov-16 13:47:12

I think it depends on what type of market you're aiming at- how much will they rent for?

Personally I'd go for a warm neutral that's neither white nor magnolia, flooring wise laminate in messy/high traffic areas such as halls, kitchens, bathrooms then carpet everywhere else. You may want to consider very good underlay on the upper flat if putting laminate down. I hate Lino, except maybe in bathroom at a push.

gininteacupsandleavesonthelawn Wed 02-Nov-16 13:48:26

I forgot other 2 questions-

Windows- Venetian or blackout rollers plus neutral curtains. No nets.

Unfurnished

OlennasWimple Wed 02-Nov-16 13:51:09

Everywhere we've rented unfurnished has had nothing at all at the windows - see what seems to be typical in the area you are

Unfurnished is simpler for a first time LL

YelloDraw Wed 02-Nov-16 13:51:27

I would I for a white, either pure brilliant white or timeless or something. East to touch up and completely inoffensive.

Do you need net curtains? If so I would do the idea 2 track poles and have plain net then black out curtains in a neutral colour.

Offer option Furnished, partly furnished or unfurnished by negotiation. Lots of people want to bring their own bed but want you to supply wardrobes etc.

Do provide WM, TD or all in one plus a DW.

Floors - rental go for something wipe clean. Whatever looks nice for your budget.

user1470134523 Wed 02-Nov-16 13:52:43

I'm aiming for the single or couple of professionals, post-grad students etc.

I was thinking of laminate but many people seem to be raving about LVT (luxury vinyl tiles) these days. Is carpet in the bedroom a must?

YelloDraw Wed 02-Nov-16 13:59:28

Carpet in bedroom is not a must. Just make sure it's nice laminate not horrible stuff.

If you are aiming for young professionals and post grads you will want to do at least partly furnished. People in that age group are used to fully furnished lets.

specialsubject Wed 02-Nov-16 14:08:48

Flooring will be deemed zero value after five years so factor that in to what you use.

Ask your agent what white goods and furnishing are expected for your target market. You provide it, you fix it.

user1470134523 Wed 02-Nov-16 14:33:47

Downstairs has a large-ish bay window and generally the property has large windows so I figured that prospective tenants will want some element of privacy either by blind or curtains etc.

I will be supplying a small kitchen with the necessary white goods.

SilverHawk Wed 02-Nov-16 19:10:09

As a parent of your target market, that has just been flat hunting.... OMG the things I've seen!
They would definitely like white, not magnolia. This would allow for the odd touch up. So, to be completely practical, brilliant white. Boring, I know, but I think that both parties would be happy with it rather than Timeless, which they may not recognise.
As the property has bay windows, please provide blinds as the very minimum. If they are single glazed, please consider thermal/blackout curtains. These are things that young professionals will not want to buy.
Furnished/unfurnished, well, some LLs wouldn't be flexible and lost the let! Tatty 50s cupboard anyone? I suggest that storage space and hanging space is helpful to provide as it's very bulky to keep moving these items but not so much the bed or chest of drawers as everyone has their own preferences.
Supply white goods, no DW would not be a deal breaker but make sure that all the extractor fans work, kitchen/bathroom. Damp is everyone's enemy.

user1470134523 Tue 08-Nov-16 13:33:30

Does anyone have any experience of shower panels? (I have heard of 'Mermaid', 'Wetwall' etc).

Just wondering what these are like for installation, longevity etc., versus traditional tiles in the shower area.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now