Talk

Advanced search

Grove Park to live?

(8 Posts)
nicm123 Wed 02-Nov-16 10:29:58

We have offered on a property close to Grove Park station, just off Chinbrook Road. Does anyone know anything about this area? The house and commute are great though I worry about safety. I'm often coming home alone at about 11pm after work drinks (a couple of times a week). Does anyone have any insight?

idontlikealdi Wed 02-Nov-16 10:34:50

My commute involves a change of train at grove park onto the shuttle line. If the shuttle is any working or delayed and I'm late I always get a cab home instead of hanging around waiting for a bus, to be honest it doesn't feel like the safest area.

DEMum101 Wed 02-Nov-16 10:37:52

Wow, that road is really close to Grove Park station isn't it? To be honest, I travel through Grove Park and (as the shuttle to Bromley often isn't working) often get a bus from there, or wait for a lift or get a cab if its late. I also used to swim at a pool just round the corner from there and have never felt at all threatened. Personally, I'd be quite happy to move there even if I had a short walk home late at night just for the commuting advantages and the easy access to Bromley and Lewisham/Blackheath for shopping etc but it is difficult to be 100% about anywhere.

nicm123 Wed 02-Nov-16 13:18:10

Thanks @idontlikealdi and @DEMum101 that's really helpful information. Much appreciated!

Pradaqueen Wed 02-Nov-16 16:43:14

I used to work round the corner from there and never felt unsafe. It is near the large Downham ex/LA housing estate so as per all other ex council estates it suffers a reputation which is necessarily not deserved. I would buy. Any Bromley/Beckenham/ area property will do well. Prices there have gone insane lately.

SydneyCarton Wed 02-Nov-16 16:50:35

I used to live off Chinbrook Road (4 minute walk to Grove Park station!) and never had any problems feeling safe at any time, even when pregnant and/or with the baby. Would have loved to have stayed there, not least for the transport links, but too pricey. I agree re the Downham estate (that was the only place we could have afforded a house rather than a flat), some parts of it are not so nice but overall it's not that bad. Couldn't buy there now!

PancakesAndMapleSyrup Wed 09-Nov-16 22:34:50

I personally wouldnt buy there. To me it dosent feel safe and is a grim area. Apologies to anyone who does live in the vincinity but a major no no from me.

nicm123 Mon 14-Nov-16 11:59:21

Thanks everyone for your input. We weighed it up and decided to go for it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now