Talk

Advanced search

Boiler dilemma

(4 Posts)
3amEternal Tue 01-Nov-16 07:52:46

Hi,
I need to make a decision about the following 2 options. We have a conventional boiler that is over 20 years old. The engineer thinks it could last another 20 years as opposed to shorter life expectancy of a combi boiler.

However, the system that it feeds into is a mess and unbalanced. We need new water tanks (rusting, wrong size) and lots of poor piping replaced (all in the loft). The cost of doing all this will be almost the same as ripping it all out and going for a new combi. There is also the possibility of us doing a loft conversion although that won't be for at least 9-10 years.

The downsides of a combi (apart from life expectancy) according to the engineer are they need perfect systems to run well as highly pressurised. Our house is very old and with the bodge job piping in the loft I'm worried about leaks and so on elsewhere. Having said this husband thinks our water pressure is already high, certainly the taps are ferocious.

What do people think? Thanks

VivienneWestwoodsKnickers Tue 01-Nov-16 07:54:50

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

If it dies, you'll need to replace all the pipes in the house - that's not uncommon. It's a big job, so I'd start saving for that day when it comes, or you do the renovation of the loft.

3amEternal Tue 01-Nov-16 08:19:45

The system is broke though the boiler is not. It's getting air trapped in the system and shutting off. The tank is also very rusted and risks leaking soon. The other tank is too small for purpose but doesn't imminently need replacing. The cost of fixing the system (piping, valves, 1 tank) is only a grand less than replacing with a combi.

PigletJohn Tue 01-Nov-16 11:45:47

the rusty tank is presumably a galvanised steel cold-water tank in the loft. Changing it for a new plastic one is no big deal. It will need a thick piece of ply to sit on.

If you mean the hot water cylinder is rusting, that is very rare, because they have been made of copper for about 60 years.

Trapped air in an old system is often a result of clogged pipes causing pumping-over. I would certainly recommend fitting a system filter and giving it at least a chemical clean before starting the other work; because alterations will disturb old sediment and detritus and send it round the pipes and into your boiler. This is also likely to improve efficiency and reduce noise. It is considerably cheaper than a powerflush and is a good start.

You have said why you are thinking about getting a new boiler. But why do you think the new boiler should be a combi? A new conventional boiler will be equally efficient, and less complicated so likely to go wrong less often.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now