Talk

Advanced search

sanding and treating wooden floorboard

(9 Posts)
pud1 Mon 31-Oct-16 13:49:34

we have recently moved in to a 1970's and our plan for downstairs is to remove the carpet and have something like karndean. this would be p[art of a full overhaul of the space including getting rid of a brick fireplace and re-configuring the lounge/ diner into a lounge with a kitchen/diner.
i have recently got a puppy so we decided to leave it as it is for a while. good job we did really as the puppy has pulled up the lounge carpet to reveal floorboards in fab condition. this has made us rethink and we are considering sanding ans treating the floorboards.
we would get a company int o do it and i was wondering of anyone else has done the same. i am worried that it will be a pain to clean and look tired quickly. what is the maintenance like? has anyone else done the same and are you happy with it.

wooooofudge Mon 31-Oct-16 16:32:45

We recently had an oak parquet floor restored - it was under the carpet of our new house. It was a patchwork of different colours and there were areas that needed repairing too. We got someone in in the end because we would have needed to hire the equipment needed, buy the products required, etc and find the time to do the work, plus we are amateurs and didn't want to mess it up.

If you need a recommendation in the NW, I'm happy to pm you the details of the firm we used. They were really good and we felt their quote was very reasonable.

pud1 Mon 31-Oct-16 17:24:27

A recomendation would be fab. I am in the north west too

wooooofudge Mon 31-Oct-16 18:52:49

Have pm'd you

MiniMum97 Mon 31-Oct-16 18:55:09

It's a bugger to do, and the dust will get EVERYWHERE! But virtually no maintenance needed and they are super easy to clean. Much better than carpet and more hard wearing than laminate or wood flooring. Make sure you seal the gaps though otherwise you get really bad draughts.

HeyMacWey Mon 31-Oct-16 19:01:03

Use osmo floor wax when it's been sanded. It lasts forever and it really protects the boards.

HeyMacWey Mon 31-Oct-16 19:01:51

Sorry - I meant the osmo polyx oil. Not the wax

Cabbagesandcustard Mon 31-Oct-16 23:25:50

It's a bugger to do, and the dust will get EVERYWHERE!
Not true. I've had mine professionally sanded this very day and had expected it to be awful, but there is very little dust or mess at all. My guy has a vacuum bag attached to his sander.

MummaB2016 Wed 02-Nov-16 08:48:34

We did it ourselves, hired a floor sander from local builders merchant for around £80 including the sand paper strips we used. We stained it afterwards and are so pleased with the results. It was done in a weekend!

It's in our dining room/entrance hall so front door opens straight onto it. High traffic area but so far still looking great 12 months later. I suspect at some point we might have to re-sand and stain by the door but it was so easy I don't mind at all.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now