Nottingham

(8 Posts)
May1981 Sun 30-Oct-16 21:32:25

Hi, I got a new job in Eastwood . Could anyone advise me on area to stay ? Ideally close to work place but I am prepare to travel 20mins away by car if the area is nice / good / safe to live 😊

SavoyCabbage Sun 30-Oct-16 21:36:49

It depends what you are after really. There are some quite nice villages nearby or do you want to live nearer Nottingham?

May1981 Sun 30-Oct-16 22:20:03

Ideally GCH with min 2 rooms n carpark . I prefer cosmopolitan but my main thing is friendly and safe area as I work shift hours; could be late at night when I get home . Someone told me Beeston , Wollaton area . I just wonder any other area as not much property there that I like fit my budget 😰

MiaowTheCat Mon 31-Oct-16 10:33:30

Avoid Beeston - it's very very studenty and it's had a bit of an impact on the remaining area.

Wollaton - nice but pricey.

We're in Stapleford. It's got some shabby bits but the bit we live in is nice and friendly and we don't tend to get many problems (but our street is a cul de sac with no turning circle at the end so you don't come down here unless you've got a reason to basically). Would be hitting the edge of your 20 minute commute I'd think - although I can do here to Ikea and back again within an hour and that's going the back roads as I hate driving on the M1.

May1981 Mon 31-Oct-16 12:00:16

Thanks. How about Sandiacre ?

nell15 Mon 31-Oct-16 13:11:30

Sandiacre is nice, lots of canalside flats and apartments.. it's not exactly Nottingham, more a small town in its own right. Mapperley, sherwood Wollaton bramcote are all good

MiaowTheCat Mon 31-Oct-16 13:54:25

Sandiacre's right next to where I am - I like it round here. Between it and Stapleford (the two tend to merge into one a bit) there's plenty in terms of shops and cafes and stuff. Being right on the county border you can get the odd niggle when term dates don't quite line up which could be an issue if you end up with kids in different schools (mine went to nursery in Sandiacre which is in Derbyshire, but my eldest's now at school in Stapleford which is Nottinghamshire - I get the odd few days at the start and end of holidays which are out of kilter). It's just something to be slightly aware of if you're working and have childcare to sort.

You do get every relative you've ever vaguely known "just popping in to see you" on their way up and down the M1 to avoid having to pay for service station coffees though!

May1981 Mon 31-Oct-16 14:09:52

Miaow- so know what you mean about being a 'rest place' 😂

Is there any spot in sandiacre that I should avoid ?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now