who pays for safety checks, completions for electricity and heating?

(6 Posts)
flownthecoopkiwi Sun 30-Oct-16 19:29:48

Currently buying and selling.

Selling issue: had new kitchen fitted and electrics done by registered electrician who was then not paid by builder so no completion certificate supplied to us. Buyer wants an electrics check done. Who would normally pay?

Buying issue: house is vacant probate sale with executors with no knowledge of property. They left out any info about electrics or oil heating in property form. Some light fittings are missing in living room and the study lights didn't switch on. Who should pay to get this tested?

Thanks!

user1477855884 Sun 30-Oct-16 19:40:41

To my knowledge electricians are not allowed to withhold certificates regardless of whether or not they have been paid. If you know who completed the work, find who they're registered with and log a complaint with them (napit, niceic etc etc). Most certificates are issued online now anyway so you should get it reasonably quickly

wooooofudge Sun 30-Oct-16 19:52:41

I'd look at making a deduction from the purchase price agreed to cover your costs in getting the electrics tested on the probate property. Get some quotes and take it from there.

LIZS Sun 30-Oct-16 19:55:09

Selling , you as it should be part and parcel of your building regs completion. Buying, probably split it in the circumstances. Presumably your offer reflected the condition.

Sunnyshores Sun 30-Oct-16 21:12:31

In practice there dont seem to be any hard or fast rules on it. Negotiate hard, but some buyers/sellers are right pitas, so unless you're prepared to walk.........

flownthecoopkiwi Sun 30-Oct-16 22:11:46

Thanks for feedback. Interesting point about complaining about electrician but as I only know his first name and he threatened to come and rip out everything he had done unless we paid him I think it's unlikely we'll get anywhere with him.

None of this stuff is a deal breaker, just niggles hopefully.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now