Talk

Advanced search

Single oven housing want a double oven

(17 Posts)
sacbina Sun 30-Oct-16 16:42:37

Pre existing kitchen has a single oven housing I would like a double.
Apart from having a double oven hard wired in, is there any reason why it can't be done. Seems like I'd have to adapt the housing unit but that's no problem. Had thought of replacing single oven and installing a combination oven above but would like them to match and for the combi oven to not be soooooo tiny!

Thank you 😃

Toomanycats99 Sun 30-Oct-16 16:52:24

We had a single under counter oven and managed to fit a Double in same space so it can be done! Wasn't many to choose from though that would fit. Ours is hotpoint if that helps.

user1469117700 Sun 30-Oct-16 17:20:15

you would need 2 x new doors for the housing maybe a filler depending on the height of your tall unit.
Again you would need this if you got a combi as well
Easily done if you can still get the same doors

OnePlanOnHouzz Sun 30-Oct-16 17:26:21

Just make sure that you don't install the oven too high - you loose strength in your arms when you lift above shoulder height so could drop a hot dish all down yourself - so make sure you always fit it so it suits the shortest adult who cooks regularly - not just the person installing ( who might be much taller !)

caroldecker Sun 30-Oct-16 18:01:41

If the double oven is the same size as a single, why bother as would be smaller total space

Backingvocals Sun 30-Oct-16 18:04:35

I have a Hotpoint Openspace which is single oven size but you can divide it into two separate bits at different temperatures if you need to. I find it a good compromise. I only needed a double oven for a few things and this works quite well.

sacbina Sun 30-Oct-16 18:53:41

Wow thanks for all the suggestions 😃

Main problem is the tall single housing unit has a fixed shelf just above where existing single oven is. Which is actually at the perfect height 😊 So I'll need to chop out the screws to change its position and fix it elsewhere for strength. Can't get to it any other way. There are three other doors in the housing and shelves can be moved accordingly.
I definitely want more than just a single oven, and would like a separate grill. Just not sure about combi ovens or how they grill

fluffikins Sun 30-Oct-16 18:54:02

Is it under the work surface? If so you'll need a 'double under' oven not just a double oven

BreakfastAtSquiffanys Sun 30-Oct-16 19:02:37

I bought a new build house with single oven with separate microwave/combi oven set above it.
As OnePlanOnHouzz pointed out, the height is quite important.

The oven was set at a comfortable height but combi oven was a little high for my height and resulted in me dropping several items.

I got a carpenter to reposistion them lower.
The full height unit originally had, from the top down-
*A medium cupboard with a top mounted door
Combi
Filler section
Single oven
Standard drawer
*Deep drawer

He swapped the fronts from the two items marked *, so that I now have a large top hung cupboard, and a medium size drawer at bottom

sacbina Sun 30-Oct-16 19:36:23

Breakfast - that sounds a bit like my set up. Going to have to do some fighting out

Its not under a counter no, it's in a tall unit

sacbina Sun 30-Oct-16 19:41:13

Fighting?? Figuring 😂

FrogFairy Sun 30-Oct-16 21:31:40

If you fancy Miele, they do a microwave combination oven that is 43 litre capacity which sounds a good size to me. It is £899 so adding on the cost of a matching Miele oven would add up to a big spend. Miele say it is built to last 20 years though I have never had a microwave last that long so not entirely convinced.

sacbina Sun 30-Oct-16 22:18:18

Well that's a hecky thump of price 😵
Sounds v nice though. wishes wistfully

ShowMeTheElf Sun 30-Oct-16 22:23:57

How wide is your hob and what's under it?
I had a carpenter out to cut the worktop on either side so that I could fit a really good stove (grill/top oven, bigger oven underneath) in and then used the upright unit with new doors as storage. A much more traditional layout without the 'fitted' hob or oven but much better for actually cooking. I kept the microwave in the housing because it was convenient but if I was having a whole new kitchen I would move it as it's a bit high.

ButtfaceMiscreant Sun 30-Oct-16 22:28:27

We wanted to replace our single oven with a double, but it required a higher voltage (I think that's right) and would have required a complete rewire of the kitchen which we were not in a position to undertake. Just in case your home is older like ours (1920s) as it didn't even cross our minds (thank goodness the guy quoting our refit mentioned it otherwise we would have just got a double oven!)

sacbina Sun 30-Oct-16 23:06:55

Definitely want a non bending height oven, and modern. Electrics are fine

Oh what a conundrum!

caroldecker Mon 31-Oct-16 00:42:39

My mitsubishi microwave is over 20 years old - I have never know one break.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now