Talk

Advanced search

Costal North East £150k

(24 Posts)
OhThatThingAgain Sat 29-Oct-16 23:36:51

A friend is looking for a property close to the NE coast. We've spent today in South Shields but drawn a blank. We travelled up from London and are knackered after seeing several houses that just didn't have the right feel. She doesn't mind a doer upper and is chain free.

I think she's being fussy. She wants 3 beds, a garage and a garden in a nice costal area for £150k but I don't know the NE market any more as haven't lived there for 20 years.

She's not adverse to ex local authority but would like a reasonable amount of owner occupiers.

Any ideas? Anything from South Durham to Newbiggin. The main thing is easy access to the coast and somewhere she could feel safe coming home from a late night shift.

Can I ask you if this is too much to ask?

thatwouldbeanecumenicalmatter Sat 29-Oct-16 23:43:52

Has she tried Roker/Seaburn? Dyklands road has houses of that spec for about £170k and are within spitting distance of the seafront.

OhThatThingAgain Sun 30-Oct-16 09:14:35

Thanks it's helpful, but we're just not finding anywhere in that price range. Spent yesterday flying round looking at all sorts.

Any outlying towns or villages are viable. But not Washington/Birtley/Chester Le Street for personal reasons.

I was thinking out towards Lanchetster or Burnmoor (sp?) if I can convince her inland. Any hidden gems?

19lottie82 Sun 30-Oct-16 09:18:18

Seaham? It's costal, well developed and you would get a good choice of new builds and older properties within budget.

I have family there and really like it.

19lottie82 Sun 30-Oct-16 09:20:35

Penzance Court, Murton, Seaham, County Durham SR7

www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-61860737.html

19lottie82 Sun 30-Oct-16 09:22:25

Parkside Crescent, Seaham, SR7
www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-62120267.html

birdsdestiny Sun 30-Oct-16 09:32:10

I think you would struggle to get a 3 bed for 150 in lanchester. Lanchester is lovely but if your friend is looking for coastal it wouldn't meet her criteria! Are u talking about Burnhope, just up from Lanchester?
I would suggest Seaham or maybe roker area but not sure of prices. Seahouses?

OhThatThingAgain Sun 30-Oct-16 10:35:32

I'm local so know the area from my childhood. I know it's a short hop to the coast from inland, unlike London where we are now.

I think she should look inland too as there is lovely countryside.

I'm trying to persuade her to let him k inland. Some good suggestions thanks! I think she's wanting a 200k house for 150k at the moment and I can't see that happening.

My legs are knacking today, I walked miles yesterday but managed to get in fish and chips at Coleman's grin

OhThatThingAgain Sun 30-Oct-16 10:36:44

We had cottage at Seahouses when I was growing up. It's my retirement home.

dailymailarecunts Sun 30-Oct-16 10:43:22

What about [[http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-53007034.html this is north shields]

dailymailarecunts Sun 30-Oct-16 10:44:31

well that went wrong - it is also under offer, sorry.... might be a go-er area wise though?

will try again anyway!

dailymailarecunts Sun 30-Oct-16 10:46:33

this one?

dailymailarecunts Sun 30-Oct-16 10:48:53

Sorry, I am really ballsing this up - I meant this one!

I give up! haha!

dailymailarecunts Sun 30-Oct-16 10:50:42

or this?

thebear1 Sun 30-Oct-16 10:53:17

I think she may be wanting to much for the price, I am in the NE but not costal and houses in a nice area tend to still be £160 plus.

dailymailarecunts Sun 30-Oct-16 10:53:24

bit over budget in Blyth but 4 beds

another slightly over budget in blyth

dailymailarecunts Sun 30-Oct-16 10:58:28

Slightly over budget in Seaton delaval.... I think I am becoming obsessed with your friends search!

dailymailarecunts Sun 30-Oct-16 11:00:46

no garage but bloody lovely!

dailymailarecunts Sun 30-Oct-16 11:09:01

last one, promise - new hartley / whitley bay!

OhThatThingAgain Sun 30-Oct-16 11:12:42

I'm obsessed with her search too, got me on the 6am out of Kings X yesterday. Didn't get home until 10pm.

Obsessive searchers welcome, join our club. Looking a suggestions now.

I do think she is a little under budget. You can buy a decent ex council in my dads road for £125k but she doesn't want to 'go home'. I can see why, if I went back I'd like to be seen as bettering myself (no snob here) but just 20 years in London and back on the same estate seems pointless, just you want to look like you've come back to a little better for all the hard work.

I'm lucky, I got on London property ladder on 1997, she's always rented which makes it hard with no equity. Houses are expensive everywhere when you compare salaries and equity sad

Clairerandallfraserthe1st Mon 31-Oct-16 14:27:15

This one? m.zoopla.co.uk/for-sale/property/south-shields/grotto-road/ or this one? www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/Marsden-83461.html
Both very close to coast in South Shields

OhThatThingAgain Tue 01-Nov-16 19:40:06

Thanks, a few good suggestions. We've been calling agents.

Does anyone know any areas to be avoided? We saw one house that was beautiful inside but in a very dodgy street.

When we asked about the neighbours she said 'I'm learning to drive'. Bless her, she was so sweet but you could just see she wanted out of there. Just need somewhere normal and safe to walk from metro/bus at night.

birdsdestiny Tue 01-Nov-16 20:27:24

Does she need to think about commute? I think that would make a massive difference in the advice we give. I think you are fairly safe with tynemouth seahouses etc but the price reflects that. People have mentioned Whitley bay, but that isn't a place I would choose.

OhThatThingAgain Tue 01-Nov-16 21:04:38

Commute is Leeds or Manchester (occasionally London), so needs to be near (in NE terms) to Central Station or Durham. Reason for relocation is family based.

She does these commutes from London so no big deal, normal commute in her life. Used to a four hour journey.

Areas to avoid would be good as we saw a couple of horrors that were priced the same as others in much nicer seeming streets.

Being out of the NE for 20 years skews your idea of what is good and bad. My dad lived on a rotten estate which is now quite lovely. Times change.

Saw one advertised on Lizard Lane today, blocks of flats behind being demolished in some sort of tidy up.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now